Question on Remington shot gun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by John1 S, Sep 5, 2012.

1. John1 S

John1 S New Member

Looking at a Remington 12 gage , model 887 nitro magnum . Does anyone have one and are they good , how do you like it and is it holding up ok. Thanks
  2. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

I've got a 870 express. LOVE IT. the only problem I ever had with it was the finish. I lived on the coast, and took it out duck hunting in the bay, and didn't put anything on the barrel to protect it. That salt water mist rusted up my barrel pretty good. 0000 steel wool and some wd40 got rid of most of it. Still has some small pits though.

Functionally its never had a hickup. Used it duck hunting, and numerous rounds through it trap shooting.

I don't know what the difference is between the 870 and the 887 but, based on my experience with Rem I'd say get it.
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a good honest article on the NRA's American Hunter webpage of the 887.
    http://www.americanhunter.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1685&cid=63
  4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Don't see how the 887 does anything as well or better than the 870 for 61 years of production and 10,000,000 But just buy the one you want

Anything well rust if not maintained, even SS. Use a good sythetic clp lube and over time it does stay with the firearm better and to a point works in to the metal way better than junk like rem oil. I still have my mossy 500 that was used in floridas marshs and swamps for 25 years with no rust but lots of wear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO4fhGQaxs
  5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I'd be concerned about the bond between the plastic and the steel. sooner or later corrosion will get in there. right?
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The 887 nitro magnum handles the 3 and 3 1/2 magnum shells. I have a Mossberg 535 and its pretty much a 500 but it also handles the 3 and 3 1/2 shells. Same thing as the Remington 870 and 887.
  7. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I have an 870 super magnum in full camo. I absolutely love it. it's like an old American truck, always ready to do it's job and ask for more. I can take anything from clays to doves to ducks and up to the 20 pound late season geese. and I can switch out for a rifled barrel and have at it with all kind of other game.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I have the ole mossberg 590's for home defense/combat shooting, etc but my 870's are my workhorses and by far my favorite shotgun. Good reason it's the most popular with military/LE, it's about as good as you can get for a pump.

I personally don't have any need (or desire) to shoot 3 1/2" shells but if it's something you want I'd say go for it! Last one I shot was a buddy's gun many years ago.

The synthetic stock isn't as pretty but they hold up much better as a field gun with plastic furniture. You could also get the parkerized or plain blue finish and do a DIY camo job depending on what you want for finish.
  9. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

cant beat a remington!!