Question on Ruger 10/22 v/s Marlin 60

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by John1 S, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I have both.The one I grab all the time is the 60. Why, because it carries nicer, It is sleeker, and the longer barrel is quieter when I shoot Remington Sub-Sonics. BTW did I tell you I like better!:)
  2. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

I like Marlin better than Ruger, but I like box mags over tube. Ergo Marlin 795. Basically the magazine fed version of the 60. The 795 would be my first choice, but if it was only between the 60 and 10/22 I would go with the 10/22. Both great rifles, but I like the action of loading the mag into the rifle. And the 795 mags are compatible with the Marlin bolt actions so you don't have to have get separate mags.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  3. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Using that school of thought....Mustangs, Corvettes, and Chargers SUCK AZZ!!!!!!!
  4. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

I also own both rifles...actually two of the 10/22's and three Marlin 60's....The Rugers are a '68 completely stock , and also a '80 version, slightly modified. The Marlins are actually a '67 Revelation, a '74 Glennfield, and a '01 Marlin. The Marlin 60's in my opinion and experiance are more accurate ( hard to beat Micro-Groove barels), but the Ruger's can be made to be really accurate with a bit of $$. Both are really great 22's for the buget minded shooter. I have put many rounds down range with both model's and have not had many issues....the Ruger's, as stated earlier, are a little more ammo sensative though.
  5. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf New Member

BTW, tomorrow is the last day to buy a marlin 795 and get a $25.00 rebate from marlin. We have been looking at these for several days. It is a hard decision. Glenfield 25, J.C. Higgins pump, rossi single, savage stevens single, norinco Browning copy and now we want another autoloader. I must say the tube fed guns are never as much fun or safe with a kid in the field or on the range as a magazine fed. I luv my norinco with a browning buckmark reflex sight. We are looking at the 10/22 for modding and a marlin for simple accuracy. The 10/22 is more expensive of course, but has more choices. My vote would be the marlin 795 if leaving stock. Btw, the reason we would be looking at these two over other manufacturers is the fact that we may want to shorten the overall length by utilizing a muzzelite bullpup kit at some point.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I would say that tricking out Mustangs, Corvettes, and Chargers is more like this thread.

And bringing a 10/22 up to snuff is more like turning a Honda Civic into a 10 second 1/4 mile car.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Marlin 60 that was given to me back in the mid 80's. An acquaintance ask to hold it for him when he was deployed to Korea (I think). While he was gone, I was transferred and we lost contact with each other. I am holding it with the thought that someday he will show up and claim it. I fire it occasionally and keep it cleaned and oiled for him. It shoots very good from what I remember. It has been a couple of years since I fired it last.

I bought a 10/22 several years ago that I have shot quite a bit, the modifications I made to it were a Green Mountain .22 bull barrel and a Hogue synthetic stock. The accuracy increase greatly with the new barrel. I also bought a "kit" from E. A. Brown so that I could shoot the 17 Mach 2 through it. The kit consisted of a .920 barrel and heavy bolt. I guess the only thing left of the original gun is the receiver.