Question on Savage Mark II

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mugsie, May 10, 2011.

1. mugsie

mugsie New Member

I purchased a Savage Mark II a year or more ago and still haven't found what it likes. I don't shoot .22 much, mostly 6.5 and .308, so this sat in the safe for quite a while. Well with the price of components rising, I decided to take out the Mark II and start shooting it more, even downloading some of the targets from this site and wanting to participate in the monthly "contests". Reading the forum rekindled my desire to shoot .22's.

Again at the range the other night I found it was still not grouping as I thought it should, . so after returning from the range, I removed the stock and started checking action / barrel fit. I found the following: The barrel touched the stock in several places. I couldn't get a piece of paper to slide all the way down to the action, it would hang up. I also found the stock, when viwed head on, was slightly higher on the right side of the barrel than it was on the left. This shouldn't matter if it wasn't touching, but that wasn't the case. I also found the "recoil lug" or round thingy, wasn't sitting precisely in the channel, forcing the barrel to slightly favor one side.

I took it out to the garage and commenced to file away some wood (laminate really) until I was able to slide a couple layers of paper down between the barrel and the stock. Now everything seems to be in alignment without pressure being placed on the barrel from touch points. I can't wait to take it back to the range and try it. Hopefully this simple fix will work.

Have any of you had a similiar experience with the stock on the Mark II? All my other Savages are excellent - this one though was a problem child from the get go. Have any of you had other issues with the Mark II that I should check?

Thanks all and thanks for a great forum. I get envious when I read about guys shooting their .22's to 200 yards. I was lucky to group under an inch at 50!
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Sounds like you got the "only" Savage with a problem. :D That one must have slipped thru the cracks as it sounds like the stock wasn't straight when cut. But, I think you fixed the problem so we look forward to the range report from your next shooting session.

And BTW, Welcome to TFF. :)
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I've seen Indian and chinese rifle stocks twist from badly cured or uncured timber but on a savage ? maybe the new guys first day ??

i've polished the chamber on a few savages as they've been a tad tight
    stone the trigger bar on some to get it crisper and lighter on the trigger on a couple

but they are OK rifles quality wise

hope its sorted for you eh
  4. mugsie

mugsie New Member

Yup shooter - apparently I checked on Google, and they would never lie to me because it's a government sanctioned site so it has to be true - you were right - there was only one stock made where the tolerances worked against us, and I got it! ;-)

Unfortunately I can't get to the range any time soon to check it out - I'm really anxious to see if I cleared the problem or not.
  5. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

On the MK II rifles another thing to look out for is the torque of the action screws. most shoot best at 15/17 in/lbs.
  6. mugsie

mugsie New Member

Thanks Firelegs22 - that's good to know - I'll check it tonight. I'm hoping to bring it back to the range this evening after work so I'll see how everything works out. Hopefully the "fixes" I made do the trick.
  7. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

You may have solved most of your problem by relieving the stock, but for accuracy issues a few suggestions.
    You have not stated the ammo you have used, what brands/types are you trying? Try several types, standard velocity and high velocity; if you have not done so try different bullet weights.Many of my .22's shoot well with the Eley sport std. velocity ammo. Also, you could try cleaning the chamber/bore with a good solvent (copper solvent) and make sure it is deposit free.
    The torque on the action screws would be important, so bring your screwdriver to the range with you.
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. mugsie

mugsie New Member

CHW2021 - I tried several varities of ammo. Rem Target std velocity, Win X 37g std and 40g, bulk box, and tonight I'll be trying CCI std velocity. Best results so far was with the Rem target. 5 shots looked like a V, two touching upper left, two touching upper right, and one slightly below both groups at the point of the V. Didn't take any pics, but will tonight. I've fallen back in love with .22 shooting again, but want something accurate. I see no reason why this rifle shouldn't be accurate. I've managed to tweak my big bores to some pretty impressive groups, but stayed away from this one because of the inaccuracy. I want to change all that and relearn and enjoy .22 target shooting again, maybe even competeing some time in the future. I guess I'm too stupid to quit trying to improve my equipment!
  9. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

Most Savage shooters find that Wolf MT (the same as SK match I think) works best in the MK II. I shoot eley out of my Anschutz, and while it is the best, it's really expencive.

Also, to measure out the torque on the action screws just cut an allen wrench to 1 inch (leaving the bend on it). Then use a file to make a notch close to the end for a string with weights hanging from it. Place the rifle and the weight on the ground and pick the rifle up slowly.

You might want to think about the thicker bottom metal (available from savagegunsmithing). The stock is weak around the mag well, and the thickened metal helps to even out the pressure.
  10. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

You want to use the Wolf MT and do get the heavy bottom metal from www.savagegunsmithing.com. They did an accuracy job on mine (a BRJ) and I have found with the bottom metal and bedding that just snugging the action, about 8 inch pounds gives the best accuracy, I shot a perfect 5 shot group at 50 yards with the rifle set up that way, the hole measured .222".

If you still have accuracy problems, you may have a bad barrel, there were a few out there, if you try the Wolf and action torque and it still doesn't shoot, send it back to savage. To make it shoot better, get the accuracy job, it made a huge difference in my rifle.

John
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Also, once you find the ammo the rifle favors order a tubb2000 firelapping kit for .22LR.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=120980
    Getting the toolmarks out of the bore will do wonders for accuracy from any rifle. I firelapped my Zastava import rem 5 and it will shoot bugholes at 50, and hit beer cans easily at 200 with match ammo.
  12. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Oh, I quite agree with you about improving one's equipment; however, I am cheap. That being said, it seems that you are covering the ammo spectrum. How have you cleaned the bore/chamber? The Savage chambers (as noted above) do tend to be "tight" and while the firelapping mentioned above is a rather (in my opinion) severe bore treatment; I am still wondering how you have cleaned the barrel. I have shot some of my .22's to the point where lead has made them damn near smoothbore (seriously) and during cleaning with Butch's bore shine I have removed curls of lead.
    Savage makes a damn fine product, you should be "shooting bug holes" try cleaning the chamber and bolt during your range trip (use wd40 and rags ) and see if that helps. Another suggestion would be to let your buddy or the guy on the next lane try a few shots and see his results with your gun. My experience is that "a tiger in the tank can't help a jackass behind the wheel" ........ I'm the one behind the wheel most of the time.
  13. mugsie

mugsie New Member

Well, I tried a lot of different ammo and it seems to favor Wincheser X 37g Std Velovity the best. I kept tweaking the action screws and while they seem barely tight, they still hold the action in place. I'm confident the rifle shoots as good as it's going to now, and the rest of it is (I hate to admit this - - - but here goes) - the rest of it is me. Aughhh - there - I said it. It's me. Oh that hurts!

I tried lightening up the accutrigger as much as it'll go, but it still seems tough. I may want to snip a coil off the top, but if I screw it up Savage will not sell me a spring replacement. Is there any other way to lighten up the trigger other than snipping a coil?

Thanks all for your suggestions......
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just shoot it alot. the trigger will 'break in'
  15. mugsie

mugsie New Member

Well I took it one step further - I disassembled the bolt like some of you recommended and did a polish job on it. It's not a mirror finish, but it's infinately better than it was! The trigger now does feel lighter. I'll talk it to the range later this week and give it a try. It will help a little, but I don't think it was the trigger that was causing the open groups - I think that was just the torque on the receiver screws, opening up the channel for the bull barrel, and finding something it liked. Turns out it now likes Winchester X 37g High Vel. I'll see if I can pick up some Wold TM ammot his week and give that a try too.
  16. Joe M

Joe M New Member

Wolf MT being subsonic should make a big difference in accuracy, though with my MKII FVT I've found that Federal 510B (40 grain - 1240 fps) works great, but when I move out beyond the 50 yard mark I switch to Eley Sport (40 grain - 1085 fps).

However, Wolf MT at (40 grain - 1050 fps) will most likely solve any accuracy issues from any range you choose to shoot since you've corrected the mechanical problem of the rifle.

If you should someday move out to 200 yards with your shooting I would highly suggest getting a EGW 20 MOA scope base. With a 20 MOA base you will not have to use a "hold over" hold on target. And stick with the subsonic round as it will not transition in flight as the high velocity stuffs does. It starts out below the speed of sounds and arrives on target with much more consistancy.
  17. rfowlie

rfowlie New Member

Both CHW2021 and Mugsie mentioned polishing chambers. What method did you use? Has anyone tried the Flex-Hone polishing tools from Brownell's?
  18. mugsie

mugsie New Member

It wasn't the chamber I polished, it was the bolt. I did some research on the web and found several articles on how to polish the bolt on the Mark II. Some said it would lighten the trigger pull somewhat, so I figured I'd give it a try. I took the bolt apart by seperating it(pulling the front and rear apart), slipped an open end wrench into the gap and unscrewed the two halfs. I then removed the clip on the bolt, the firing pin, two extractors and the cocking pin by pushing out the little roll pin holding it in place.

Next I took some polishing compound (don't remember which since I'm at work now and it's home, but it was whatever I had lying around) and polished the snot out of everything. It did remove the bluing but so what. I also took a stone and removed all the burrs and rough areas on a lot of the metal. I then reassembled the bolt after putting a layer of oil (CLP) on everything.

Trying it, it does appear to have lightened the trigger pull. How much I have no idea since I don't have a gauge and don't know before and after numbers, but it does feel lighter. Maybe I'll be lucky and get to the range this weekend, but with all I have to do around the house I doubt it. As soon as I do I'll give everyone a quick report.
  19. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

snipping a coil or two off of the trigger is not as risky as one might think. just make sure that the accutrigger setting is as light as it gets before you do. That way if you cut too much off you can tighten the screw thingy and you will have enough pressure in the system to make the sear reset. If you do snip more than one or two coils off, make sure that you test the sear engagement before you take more off. If the trigger pull is too light then the sear won't engauge.
  20. mugsie

mugsie New Member

Success! Took the rifle to the range today and I am amazed at the accuracy! I'm shooting in the low 3's if not high 2's consistantly at 50 meters. All the fixes, plus picking up some Wolf MT ammo has made a difference I would never have believed. The bolt is butter smooth, trigger is slightly lighter, barrel not touching the stock, and ammo it likes. I am really pleased. Tomorrow I'll post some pics. I'm confident I can hold my own against anyone else now in competition. Next is to take it out to 100 yards and even further. Before this I would never have believed a .22 could shoot to 100 yards and be accurate - not now! Thanks everyone for all your patience and suggestions, they made a world of difference. Thank you.