Question on starter pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Gun Guy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    I got a chance to pick up a bunch of starter pistols for a good price. Most of them are the common Italian and German examples. However, there are a couple of them that are kind of unique. On the second picture on the top left there are 2 Italian swing-out cylinder revolvers, and a top-break on the right of them. These all have the auto-eject feature. On the bottom left is a german automatic marked "Perfecta DBF Germany" that loads via a tubular mag in the bottom of the butt. The middle bottom pistol is a German automatic marked on four lines (1)"Official Starting Pistol" (2) "for cal. 22 crimped starter brand" (3) "green label blank cartridges only" (4) "S.E. LASZLO, DISTRIBUTOR, NEW YORK,N.Y." Here's my question: Has anyone ever seen a pistol like the one on the bottom right? It is German and marked "FB (inside a star) Record, and in a circle to the right it is marked "Modell B7S and PTB 136. It is unique in the fact that it is loaded under the hammer (2 rounds), and when the first round is fired, the casing is ejected by the force of the round firing, and then the other cylinder is now in contact with the second firing pin. I have test fired all these pistols and they all work fine, although I was a bit surprised by the last one ejecting an empty round next to my head.
    Has anyone ever seen one like this?
    Thanks!
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Alot of what you have were once sold as ''tear gas pistols'' that fired a special tear gas cartridge. They also fired pepper rounds and CS rounds you bought seperately from the pistol.
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

A customer brought in one of the German revolvers along with a tin of the "gas" shells. I couldn't read much of the German on the tin - except for ACTUNG! Anyway, we fired on of the gas shells and boy didn't that crap sting your eyes - even pointed well away - it just seemed to permeate the air. Probably CS powder.
    As to starter/training pistols - as a starter it has to be able to fire at least three shots -one for go and two rapid pops to signal a mistart and call the runners back to the starting line. Training guns were used to condition dogs and horses to gunfire - starting with realitively mild reports and moving up to .32 Blanks - which have a pretty sharp report.
    You've acquire quite a nice set of these unusual items.
    I have an H&R made "Gas Gun", apparently made for the European market in the 1930s. It takes a .38 cal. gas shell and the cylinder bores are sub caliber (radically stepped down) at the muzzle end - it can't fire live ammo. It is one of the few that I have that is marked with the stamping "MADE IN U.S.A."
    IMG_0758_2.jpg
    IMG_0766_2.jpg
    IMG_0761_2.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Jim,
    When I bought these pistols they were all in one box. The seller and I were going through them to make sure that they weren't still loaded. We found some that were. The seller accidently fired one, and we had to leave the store for awhile, and his eyes were burning. It's hard to believe that a cartridge that small in size could release that much gas.
    I didn't know anything about starter pistols until I bought these, and I am finding out some interesting things about them and their uses.
    You've got quite a rare "gas gun" yourself . Have you ever fired it, or can you even get rounds for it anymore?
    Ron
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Ron,
    I've never fired it and have never looked for rounds! From experiencing the little crimped .22 button shell discharge - I don't think I'd like to be downwind of a .38 gas cartridge - didn't like the "gas chamber" in basic training either - LOL. I've got a few of the H&R blank guns - they all have solid barrels - not bored through like this one. I've got another H&R "blank gun" from the 1980's that is uncatalogued and must be fairly rare. This one was supposedly made in a batch sent to a German customer. It's really odd: it's marked Model 900 9mm K (it's actually a highly modified Model 926 - the .38 S&W version of the manually ejecting SPORTSMAN). It has a 4" sub caliber barrel with two baffels inside and is threaded at the muzzle for some type of screw in device. The cylinder is stepped down at the muzzle end. It seems to have been intended to "project" darts or tear gas cylinders from a device screwed into the muzzle. I guess there's all kinds of odd ball stuff out there - especially in or for the European market.

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0416_2.jpg