question on the 9mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GoodOl'12gauge, Sep 28, 2008.

1. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Im starting to reload 9mm luger. Ill be using cci primers and unique powder. The only problem is i dont know how many grains to put behind a 127 grain bullet. Any one got some info?:confused:
  2. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

Don't you have any reloading manuals? If not, you can always check the online info from the powder manufacturers-Hogdon, Winchester, etc. If you can't find the info for 127g, then use the closest which would be 125g and adjust the load accordingly.
  3. GoodOl'12gauge

Thanks, i thought about the allianrt website rite after i posted
  4. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Reloading is a great hobby, helps you shoot more and gives you a better understanding of firearms in general, but if your going to reload you need some manuals, their are many pitfalls and although common sence goes along way their are still alot of ways you can mess up.

Don't be lazy, do your homework and buy some manuals.(Lee, Lyman, Speer, and stuff like that.)

Someday you'll thank me.
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

Ditto the other posters here. Get some manuals. Contact the Powder makers. They'll be more than happy to send you their guide.

Art
  6. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Get at least THREE reloading manuals! Lyman and Modern Reloading are a great place to start.
  7. GoodOl'12gauge

Thanks i have m anuals but there all for cowbou actoin reloading
  8. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Definitely use manuals. Also, next time you go to a store that carries reloading supplies look around for free data books. They're usually in the vicinity of the powder.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Don't reload at all until you have read the manuals and understand what the rules are for safety and how reloading works. Then re-read them. Do it wrong and you and/or you gun may get damaged! Stupid hurts!

LDBennett
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have a warning. I loaded a lot of 9mm over the years and was always aware that with the small case area its easy to over fill, take care your powder is not too high in the case so it will be compressed by the bullet, leading to dangerous pressures.

I shall look for my old reloading log and see what I have. Looks like I was loading 4.8gr Unique but behind 124gr bullet. Also 5.2 behind 115gr. Now that was a few years ago and Unique may not be the same mix, so as above, check the manuals first and take care with the overall length.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2008
  11. tom vito

tom vito New Member

Exactly what I was thinking, be careful with the small case size of the 9mm. A mistake of just .2 gr will make a big difference.
  12. Oncefiredbrass.net

Oncefiredbrass.net New Member

If you cannot find anyload data. In my opinion I would load it like a 125rn. I would use the same overall lenght of a 130gn and then fill use the minimum charge for the 125rd. I would only load 10 round batches and them test fire them one at a time. Check for signs of high pressure. Some times there is no load data and you have the powder to use so I would work with it.
  13. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Sorry, but that advice is a recipe for danger, Sir.