Question RE: CCW travelling state to state

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by PharmrJohn, Jul 4, 2009.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

OK. This is my understanding. Please correct and educate me if I am incorrect.

**There are Residential and Non-Residential CCWs. Residential if you live in said state. Non-Residential if you don't.

**If you have a CCW (either Residential or Non-Residential) it does not mean you can carry in every state, only the states that honor reciprocity.

**Different rules of reciprocity apply to both types of CCW license.

**If you want to carry in a state where you do not live, that does not honor your state's CCW, you must travel to and apply for that state's CCW (of the non-residential ilk).

Thanks in advance. John.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i dont think you have missed anything except that it might vary from state to state where you may carry. i have applied for a license, and im waiting for the final paper work, so im looking to learn everything i can about CCW
  3. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

4. oldogy

oldogy New Member

:confused:And there is the problem if I may comment without hijacking the thread. Far too many convoluted laws on the books. And the LEOs and judges do not seem to be able to or will not sort out intent vs the law as written. Too many times we are breaking some obscure law that we have no knowledge of. It would be interesting to know just how many law abiding citizens become law breakers due as result of all these unnecessary laws. And some folks have a problem with jury nullification.......should the citizen who tries to stay within the law gets caught up in the maze......
    Really now, what more than the second amendment do we need.
    oldogy
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Only the states that honor reciprocity? Yes & No

That is almost correct but there are exceptions.
    For instance I have a FL Non-Resident and live in AL. I can not carry in AL because I am a resident but AL recognizes the Non-Resident FL CCW for those that are not AL Residents. I can carry in all other states that recognize the FL Non-Resident. If I go 15 mi up the road to TN I'm good.
  6. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

Kansas just recognized the non-resident CCW. Before now, you could be in trouble even with "reciprocity". It had nothing to do with changing the law. The AGs office finally recognized that the non-resident CCW was legal, had been there all along.

Interpretation is always the problem.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

This is wrong. The way I'm reading your statement, if I want to go to Nevada (which has just stopped recognizing Florida permits) and want to carry there, I must have a Nevada non-resident permit. Not necessarily. If I have a Utah non-resident permit, I'd be good in Nevada.

So, if the state you want to carry in does not recognize your state's permit, it is possible they might recognize some other state's that might be easier to get, or cheaper to get, or is good in more places.

Example - I want to carry in Nevada and Washington. I can get a Washington non-resident, but it is not good in Nevada. I can get a Nevada, but it is not good in Washington. But I can get a Utah, and it is good in both. Plus my Utah is good in Oregon (which neither Washington or Nevada is), so as I drive from Lost Wages to the Great Pacific North-Wet, I can carry my gun on my hip through Oregon.
  8. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Confusing to say the least. I'm of the mind that I only need to go to one of the 32 states that reciprocates my NC CHP.;)

Now, even in a state that reciprocates a CHP from your home state, you are still responsible for being within the law in the other state. For example, some states allow concealed carry in places that sell alcohol for consumption on premesis, i.e., bars, clubs, some restaraunts, etc. NC does not. So if one has a permit from a state that does allow it and they travel to NC, they cannot legally be armed in a bar. Confusing:confused:
  9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

OK I get it now. But here is a newb question for sure.....directed at BJC.

So, if I have a Resident Washington license (we cannot carry in bars here) and go to NC, can I carry in a bar in NC? Or am I bound by Washington law in the state of North Carolina. Basically whichever law is more restrictive, that is what you follow......
  10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

And BTW, thank you all for your help. Being a newb in this situation is uncomfortable at best. My wife has just accepted the fact that this is going to happen and was asking about trips from state to state. So nice to have ya'll as a good source of information. Every other day or so, I go to the lawbook (online) and review a section. Can't screw up with firearms.
  11. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

No, you can't carry in a bar here. NC law prohibits residents and non-residents from carrying in bars. Only LEOs on duty can carry in a place that serves alcohol for comsumption on premesis. I was told that if a place of business sells alcohol and has a specfic place set aside for consumption (i.e., a bar or club) or a restaraunt that serves alcohol, then you cannot carry. But if a store that sells alcohol (i.e., grocery store, Wal-Mart, convenience store, etc) without consumption on premesis, then you are legal to carry concealed as long as there are not anty "No weapons" signs posted. Also, one cannot carry in NC if they have ANY alcohol in their system. If you come to NC with a WA CHP, you are bound by NC laws, not WA laws, just as if I went to WA with my NC CHP, I would be bound by WA laws, not NC laws. When travelling with a CHP, you are bound by the concealed carry laws of the state that you are physically in, not the state that issued the permit. Just make sure that any state to which you travel has reciprosity with Washington.

I just checked and NC does honor a WA CHP, you would be legal to carry here, as long as you abided by the laws here.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  12. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

FYI, Nevada has just stopped recognizing Utah permits as well as Florida permits, so getting a Utah non-resident permit will no longer allow you to carry in Nevada. :/ I'm a new Nevada resident myself (of less than a year's standing), but from what I've learned, Nevada annually reviews all CCW permits issued by other states for "parity" with its own. If the permit is issued without what Nevada feels is sufficient training or demonstration of proficiency, they won't recognize it. Apparently they feel that Florida and Utah both give out permits without sufficient requirements of some type or another.

They also added a few states to the list of recognized permits, so at least this isn't due to slow/sneaking anti-second-amendment sentiment. :) (A Nevada legislator who was viewed as anti-gun-rights would probably look like road kill on election day, so that isn't surprising.)
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i'm new to the idea of non resident permits. how does one go about getting a non resident permit?
  14. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

That's a good question. Do you actually have to enter the state physically, or can you have fingerprints faxed? I understand NV requires more than can be faxed, but what about the others. I will need to do my CCW in Oregon for sure as a Non-Resident.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

For Florida, which is the only one I know the laws on, you apply to the Division of Licensing for a Non-resident package. They mail it to you. You fill out the form. You have your prints taken (there is a fingerprint card in the package). You have your picture taken. You send your prints, picture, application, proof of firearms training and fee back to Florida. They check everything out, and if you are acceptable, they mail you your license. Need to be sure you are legal to carry a gun before you do that, though. License fee is non-refundable. If they check you out and find out you are a convicted felon, or have a misdemeanor domestic violence conviction against you, too bad, so sad, no license and you lose the hundred and whatever dollars.