Question regarding gun "barrel" bluing ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Aug 12, 2012.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

When a gun barrel is to be reblued, should the ends of the barrel be plugged so that the bluing solution does not get inside of the barrel ?

The reason I ask, is because the guy that has been doing some bluing for me recently does not do so.

I have noticed that it takes an extremely large number of oiled patch passes (thru these barrels on which the bluing solution was allowed to contact the inside of the barrel) to clean what appears to be rust out of the inside of these barrels.

Thanks.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

most bluing is oxidising the surface like rust but in a controlled way

i've 2 dozen lengths of pine dowel that i use to plug barrels when bluing , its lazy not too in my view and just makes work for you .. his customer and to not clean it out before returning it , sloppy and dangerous , sorry to your mate but i do a fair few here for other folks and would never return a rifle like that ..

gent near me ( 20 miles away) saves his cigarette butts , pulls the paper wrapper off the fiber filter and rolls the filter down to size to fit

i dont smoke tailor made with filters , but thinking of doing likewise the filters a giant sponge so with care they do fine

ciggy filters only for the two part acid mixes or birchwood casey types , wood plugs for hot bath blues..
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Jack do you ever have a dowel blow out from the inside air expanding?
    Or does the wood allow the expanding air to escape?
    Mike
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I dont plug barrels. if you have a blow out while submersed its bad juju. also most barrels being chrome lined, are unaffected by bluing salts
  5. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Can you expound upon what you mean by "bad juju" ?

Thanks.
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

When you put the barrel in the salts witch is at 295 degrees the air expands in the barrel witch can cause the plug to blow out of the end (or so I am told) and in turn send hot salts EVERY ware:eek:
    If you get it on you you get burned real bad:eek:
    I to do not plug the barrels.
    Mike
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Yep thats why. also a rubber or cork plug can polute the salt bath if left in there. if you have a blow out you gotta find it
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Maybe I lived right, but I used wooden plugs and never had one blow out. I not only plugged the barrel but used wood plugs 4 inches or so long so they provided handles to hold the barrel without touching it and also a place for the hooks in the tank so they didn't contact the barrel.

As to getting salts in the barrel/chamber, that will happen if the barrel is not plugged; obviously, the residue has to be rinsed out the same as it has to be rinsed out of any other crevice or opening in the gun. Some folks express concern that bluing in the barrel will constrict the bore, raising the pressure and blowing the gun up. Nonsense, of course; bluing runs about .0001 inch, nowhere near enough to cause any such problem.

Some gunsmiths who don't plug barrels had complaints about bluing in barrels, but the advice was to fire the gun and the bluing will wear off.

Jim