Question regarding gun ownership and anti depressants

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by merv112, Mar 24, 2012.

1. merv112

merv112 New Member

Hey guys,

New poster here, and I have a question I'm not sure where to get the answer to. I've been a gun smith all my life, since my dad taught me everything he knew and his father before him, I built long range precision bench rest rifles; it's my one true love outside of motorcycles (and my wife).

over the past year, I've had 2 people very close to me pass away, + forced retirement from the job I love, and my wife says she thinks it's made me depressed. my first reaction is she's crazy, but it is true I've had a significant loss of energy and desire to do the things I love, including making love to her (sorry for getting personal). but that's it. none of that feelings of suicide crap or anything stupid like that.

anyway, she's been hounding me to talk to the dr. about it. when I was in the Army, I remember a few guys talking about people not being able to own guns if you get prescribed anti depressants. something about it showing up on the background check when you do your forms and makes people think you're unstable. I'm deathly afraid to talk to my dr. in case there's any truth to this, since, as I mentioned, it's been one of my life long loves.

Can anyone weigh in with any personal knowledge on the matter? I'm in Ohio if that matters.

Thanks in advance.
  2. garydude

garydude Member

I have a friend that lives in Chicago that had neck pain. He saw many drs that did not know the cause. One dr. said it was in his head and had him see a psychiatrist, gave him a rx for antidepressants, and low and behold his FOID was revoked. It turned out to be a joint in his neck was infected and with antibiotic treatment was resolved. He was able to get his firearm ownership restored but it did take some doing.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  3. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

Well, I don't know for sure about that... I can tell you that I went through a time when my wife thought I was depressed, and I might have been but really didn't think so, I know my "anxiety" levels were pretty up there but felt that I had good reason to be a bit wound up so to speak. Anyways, I went to our doc and he prescribed me a couple different types of antidepressants to try out, I think Celexa and Zoloft were a couple. Anyways, at the wife's insistence I also started going in to see a counselor, and at the end of it all we decided that was depressed because I was married to her, I stopped taking the meds and eventually divorced her.

But the point is, I still buy guns and never ran into any problems with delays or anything, and I now have a CC permit and an 03 FFL, so I'd have to say that either they don't report that sort of stuff, or else no one pays attention to it. Although I would caution that if you were diagnosed with any sort of SEVERE depression or suicidal tendencies, the doc would probably feel a bit more obligated to report it to whomever they might report such things to.

I quit taking the meds and started taking some of the herbal stuff you can pick up at Walmart, did more for me and cost a heck of a lot less than the prescription stuff. Valerian root and St. John's Wort do me just fine, take a little of the edge off so you can think a bit better...just my .02.
  4. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

But then again, that is Illinois that you're talking about here, they ain't known for their 2nd Amendment love as it is...:(
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What is a FOID?
  6. 01brian

01brian New Member

7. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

be careful what you tell your doctor. don't ever tell him you're feeling suicidal, as that is a sure way to lose your guns. if you're feeling depressed there are usually alternative treatments you can take; sometimes all you need is a chiropractic adjustment to get your body back into line.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You have just done what I would be doing in your shoes. Get advice, talk to others before going to the shrink for depression. Surf the internet for depresion, and treatments. Sometimes all we need is a new direction in our lives, or a new love. I don't mean a new girl friend either. Ohio is one of those states that isn't too gun friendly, so tread lightly. Clinical deperssion is treatable, and should be supervised by a Dr., but who said it had to be a shrink? See your GP Dr., talk to him/her, and get thier opinion on you, and go from there.
  9. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

In Illinois you have to have a FOID card to purchase ammo or guns. Basically a state registration card.
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

From my understanding here in Ohio, the only thing that can and will stop you
    right in your tracks as far as CC permitt, buying firearms and so on, is if you have
    ever been committed to a mental hospital, domestic violence or a felony.
    And my undestanding is, that if your being treated by a psychiatrist for anxiety/depression
    it wont put a "hamper" on things.
    A friend of mine was seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety/depression and was worried
    in the same way and is still being prescribed the same RX's and he has had is
    CC permitt for the last several years.
    I'd advise as said above in the posts, do your homework before hand before going
    the route.
  11. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Welcome to TFF.

I am a disabled vietvet and mostly for PTSD along with other physical problems. I take Prozac daily along with Trazodone. Have had CCW in AZ And now have had one in Idaho for 11 yrs.

If you need help, please talk to your DR. regardless and deal with everything else later. your health and happiness (and your wifes') are more important right now.

Please let us know how it goes with the Dr.:cool:
  12. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you are not seeing a long time physician, who you would refer to as a friend, don't mention depression. Many states ask a question on the application..have you ever been diagnosed with a mental/psychological issue. If the answer is yes, the permit is, no.

Reading your self-diagnosis, I'd say your " just a bit down " from all that's happened. No suffering involved. You probably need something to kick your mood up a notch, but only when you need it. I'm not talking daily, just once in a while.

If I were your Dr..based on your needs, I'd say, sure. No diagnosis involved. We all go thru that once in a while.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Merv you sound like a mate of mine

if your getting down talk to someone ,

cheers to you
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

15. musclehead

musclehead New Member

fireamrs owner identification card, I've still got mine somewhere. now I live in FL and in between OR. freer states to be sure.
  16. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

17. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

When I get a bit too "wound up" I take a day and go shootin...does wonders for me!