Question regarding "LC82" Headstamp

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Smeds, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Smeds

Smeds New Member

Hi, new to the forum and I was just wondering if anyone could give me the meaning of the headstamp L C 8 2. I acquired a spent cartridge today and I am pretty puzzled to the meaning of the stamp. Google only showed up with LCD TVs... Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. zb338

zb338 New Member

Pretty simple, LC is the arsenal where it was made. In this case Lake City.
    82 is the year it was made 1982. Most all U.S. Government ammo is labeled
    that way.
    Zeke
  3. Smeds

Smeds New Member

Thanks for the help Zeke, really appreciate the help. Never dealt with much in the way of ammo.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It's military surplus brass. Lake City is reported to make good brass cases.

If you reload it you have to take the crimp out of the primer pocket after removing the primer. RCBS and others make tools for doing it.

The brass is thicker and that makes the case capacity smaller. Reload it as you would commercial brass and the pressure will be higher. If your load is anywhere near max you will exceed the recommended pressure and may create pressure problems for yourself. Segregate that brass and do a series of tests starting from the starting load before you load up a batch. Watch for signs of excessive pressure as you test to find your desired load level. It will require less powder to duplicate your previous loads in commercial brass. Fail to do this and you may get head separation, blown primers, excessively flat primers, and other signs of excessive pressures.

It is said that because the brass is thicker, the case life is less than with commercial brass. I have some military brass with head stamps from the 1940's that has been reloaded many times. I have not seen case neck cracks or anything that would lead me to believe that military brass has a shorter case life than commercial brass. But my experience is a sample of one and others who have used much more of this surplus military brass than I are better judges of this than me.

Be safe! Do it right or discard the military brass.

LDBennett