The Firearms Forum banner

Question Regarding Odd Looking ( To Me ) 5.56 Ammo

4K views 57 replies 15 participants last post by  Airborneguy 
#1 ·
I bought four boxes Saturday, looked at em and thought they were reloads. Now, I'm not so sure. My issue with them is/was, the brass looks filthy. They have a green tip that looks like it's made of plastic, can't tell because it looks like the green color is paint, maybe not..

This was my first purchase of 5.56's. The ones that came with the AR are either FMJ's, or AP.

Any info about them would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Nope, not pitted or green. Every ammo I've ever bought has been shiny and new looking, but this 5.56 looks kinda ' burnt' lookin. And I've never seen ammo with a green plastic tip on it before.

#4 ·
Uh, maybe. It'll be tomorrow when I can get into the cedar chest for the cameras. I know that sounds odd, but I keep them out of the weather, so to speak, and the batteries out. Salt air can waste about anything in due time.

#18 ·
I bought four boxes of em. Gonna call the guy tomorrow and tell him to put four more to the side and go in and pick em up. I thought he had sold me reloads at new price. I owe him a 'mental' apology. OK, just took care of the apology. :)

#20 ·
I always thought that the green tip M-855 were armor piercing ammo.

Chuck, I am glad that you mentally apologized to him, you seemed kind of pissed about it last night!!
Twas a bit ticked, George. I will admit I'm wrong when necessary, in person and 'mentally". And, I definitely remember having done it before, I think. :rolleyes:

#22 ·
It's sold as a 5.56/2.23 ( Windham Weaponry). Never been fired, yet. Getting close. Promised my wife..if she'd shoot a few magazines thru it, I'd take her to the Atlantic to fish tomorrow. I'm going stir crazy wanting to shoot it. Rain has been in the way, but that's over with for at least a week.

#25 ·
Was just curious, it should be able to handle a 62 grain bullet without any problem.

I have one that is 1:9 and for some reason, I get key holed when I shot the 62 grain stuff. I have two more 1:9 twists now and a 1:7, when I took them out to test the 62 and 69 grain last week, I forgot to take my ammo!!:oops::rolleyes::confused:

EDIT: The twist rate should be printed right on the bottom of the barrel.

#26 ·
Was just curious, it should be able to handle a 62 grain bullet without any problem.

I have one that is 1:9 and for some reason, I get key holed when I shot the 62 grain stuff. I have two more 1:9 twists now and a 1:7, when I took them out to test the 62 and 69 grain last week, I forgot to take my ammo!!:oops::rolleyes::confused:
Everybody knows I know nothing about this gun...what's 'key holed?'.

#31 ·
See how some of these holes are nice and round, while the others are perfect silhouettes of the bullet? The bullet was going sideways when it went through the paper. That's a keyhole.

#35 ·
Hopefully I'll be able to buy my barrel at the end of next week. That's what I want - 1:7 twist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.