Question to all Law Enforcement Officers!!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bob1010, Feb 8, 2010.

1. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

I was just wondering who used what handgun and calibers the most. The local PD here uses the Sig P229s in 40 S&W. I am just curious what others use around the country. How do you like it? Any reoccuring problems with them?
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

In Italy: Beretta 92F in 9m/m. It's "OK". Never troubles.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Most patrolmen in my area use the Glock 17, 22, or the Sig Sauer P226. The Beretta is pretty much phased out. I talk to some of them at the Fireman's Festival down here in the summer. One of them that carries a 226 said he used to carry a S&W 357, and recently switched to the 226. Says it's more comfortable, but felt better about the S&W's stopping power and accuracy.

I don't think any around here carry a .40. Another guy who's a friend of the family and served with my uncle in Nam was a detective for a long time. Carried the .38 when he started as a patrolman. Went to a .45 for awhile when he became a detective. Ended up carrying the 9mm Beretta until he retired. He works up at the courthouse now. I don't know if the bailiffs carry a firearm or not. I'm sure he still has a handgun though. He can legally get a carry permit if he's a retired cop. Never really asked him about it.

Idk if they just "issue" them certain pistols or what. But I thought you could only carry so big of a round. like up here, i never see ANY of them with anything bigger than a .40.
  4. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Our department (state troopers) carry the Smith & Wesson 4566TSW in 45 Auto and many of our county and city agencies carry a mixture of Glocks (chambered mostly in 40 S&W) and Smiths. We've not had many problems with our Smith's... mostly regular wear issues like springs. I've not heard many problems from the other agencies around the state, but we did have one in the news recently when a brand new Glock came apart in an officers hand the first time it had ever been used.
  5. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Officers in Sacramento County and in Sacramento City carry the SIG-Sauer P.226 chambered in .40S&W.
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    WHEN I WAS ON THE SHERIFFS DEPT. AS A AUX OFFICER WE CARRIED THE 686 IN 357 MAG.THAT HAS BEEN MANY YEARS AGO,I HAVE HAD SO FAR A TOTAL OF THREE 686S......I FIRE TEN THOUSAND ROUNDS THRU THEM AND RETUNE ,CLEAN UP,AND RESELL.......I AM NOW ON MY THIRD. OLD SEMPERFI
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Officers in Montgomery, AL use Glock 22 & 23s.
  8. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Up here most LEO's carry Glock 22 and some others carry Sig229 both in .40 S&W
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

how accurate are those? i kinda wanted to get one they had at gander mountain. looked like a nice one. the old grips- not these rubber ones they make now. stainless steel, nice long barrel, just a beautiful gun. wouldn't make a good carry piece. i'd like it to show off at the range and blow away whoever breaks into my house at night. vaporize that gopher that tunnels under my deck every summer. neighbor has a S&W 29 .44 Mag - like the Dirty Harry one - just smoked this groundhog we caught tunneling under our deck 2 years ago. It was awesome.
  10. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

In the Border Patrol we are issued the H&K P2000. It's a compact .40 cal. I have carried the Beretta 96D and a S&W 696. The problem with issued weapons is the manufacture tries to save as much money on the contract as possible so the quality is not the same as you see in the gun shops. I can get used to any weapon issued to me but would like to have a choice. We are stuck with whatever company gets the contract and this happens every 5 years.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My son is a small town cop here in Georgia. The town did not issue him a weapon so he carries a Glock 23 that belongs to me. I think that he can carry whatever he wants as long as it is a "brand name" and he can qualify with it.
  12. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

Agentwil,
    How is life in the Border Patrol? I apllied a few years ago myself. The wait time was pretty long and wound up changing jobs here locally while I was waiting. Once the call finally came, I was happier with my new position and decided to stay. I regret it from time to time though. Take care.
  13. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

Every local agency here carries Glock 22s which is the full size .40smith. The part-timers carry whatever they want as long as they qualify with it and buy their own ammo that meets department standards. I know some part-timers that carry Sig 228s, and SA XDs. HP carried Sig 239s in .357sig for about two years and are now in the process of transfering to the m&p in .357sig.... :confused::confused: ...so now there are some HP stamped sigs goin for $250 that have only had 150 rounds put through them:eek::eek::eek:

The Glock 22s are a fine duty weapon but I would much rather have a G17. but thats just my personal preference.:cool:
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

15. coffeehound

coffeehound New Member

police in my area use glock 22 .40cal and never have a problem (i was a reserve officer for 4 years
  16. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

How is life in the Border Patrol?
    Hey Bob
    I know the hiring process can be very long, it took me three years before I got an academy date. They got it down to 6 months now. I have been in the Border Patrol for 13 years now and it has treated me very well. I have worked all over the country. The work is tough and the hours are long but the pay is good. We have a hiring freeze right now but we should start hiring again soon.