Question!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by oldcrustytanker, Jul 12, 2012.

1. oldcrustytanker

oldcrustytanker New Member

I am new to the forum and also new to reloading. I have a few questions about reloading the 40s&w. I bought the Lee challenger single stage press and I have loaded 100 rounds of reloads. Recipe as follows:

5.0g of Bullseye Powder
    180g Everglade's FMJ Flat Nose
    CCI 550 Magnum Pistol Primer

When I went to crimp them with the Lee Factory Crimp Die some of them where stubborn going in to the die. Others were not, what does this mean? Some of the projectiles seated easier than the others as well. Am I doing something wrong? Should I trust these rounds?

Shooting an XDM Service Model .40cal
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

The Lee Factory Crimp Die has sizing ring at the bottom and it will bring the case back to factory specs. Those that are a little harder going in probably had a slight bulge in the case that your sizing die didn't remove and now it is taken care of. This has been a normal occurrence with me and should not be a problem.
  3. oldcrustytanker

Ok, Sounds great thanks for the quick response my man! I'm going to test fire them this weekend and if this load works I will continue to use it. I was just a little nervous as I've never reloaded pistol rounds. I just wanted to make sure they were correct.
  4. dbach

dbach Member

Why CCI550 Small Pistol Magnum primers? I use the CCI500 Small Pistol.
  5. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I agree with dbach. No need for magnum primers with the powder or load. Also, were the cases originally fired in a Glock? You will sometimes get a bulge with an older Glock as the case is not fully supported. This could be the cause of your resistance in the crimp die.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Have you checked these in your chamber? It's easy to do and generaly good practice. Just pull the barrel out of your XDM and check them for fit with that.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

welcome to TFF, I would also suggest that you never load more than about 20 rounds as you work up your loads. 20 bullets to pull is much easier than 100. I usually test in groups of 10 as I work up my loads/charge wts.
  8. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

+1 on that we have all been there before take the advice. Someday you will thank us or curse us if you had not lol
  9. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Conservative advice is that cases that have been fired in a Glock chamber really should not be reloaded, as the Glock chamber design allows the brass to stretch more than many other chambers designs.

The foregoing advice being given, and knowing that many persons will not believe it or take it, cases fired in a Glock chamber should not be reloaded as many times as cases fired in other chambers.

As to the question of how many times can such cases be reloaded as safely as cases fired in most other chambers; refer to the opening sentence of this post.
  10. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

regarding cases fired in glock ,, send rcbs several fired cases and they will size a die specifcally for your gun so that you dont destroy your brass with excess working.
    have done this in the past for myself and a couple of friends,, (personally will not buy another glock, because of this and just dont like the way they fit my hand.
    glock chambers are cut to the max sami specs,, (so that they can be thrown in the dirt and muck, shake them out and continue as the military and other service use requires) most other manufacturers cut on the low side of the sami specs.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  11. oldcrustytanker

I am new to reloading and have lots of questions. I am reloading .40S&W. I have my first 200 rounds loaded and I'm going to test them out in the morning. I wanted to put the load recipe up to see what you guys thought of this for a starting load.

180g Everglade's FMJ Flat Nose
    5.0g of Bullsey Powder
    CCI 550 Primers
    With a light crimp with the LFC die.

Also:

.380 ACP

95g Everglade's FMJ Round Nose
    2.5g of Bullsey Powder
    CCI 550 Primer
    Also with a light crimp
  12. oldcrustytanker

What does it mean when your post is moved? I mean did I do something wrong or post it in the wrong spot or something?
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I moved it to the proper forum, the reloading forum. We have different forums on different subjects and when we see posts that dont fit in one forum, we move them to their proper place. No big deal. You will get the answers you need here.
  14. oldcrustytanker

All great information. I apologize for not responding sooner as I am trying to figure out how to utilize this forum. Mr. Todd 51 moved me so I could get some more info. but I didn't know how to find my post. Really though thanks for looking out for the newbies. I have heard that about the glocks and their unsupported chambers a bunch of my buddies shoot glocks and they also wanted to get into reloading. I have also heard there is a special tool to resize the glock bulge is this true? As far as the 550 primers this is all I could get my hands on, I have heard they will work there just a little hotter if you guys have heard different please inform me before I shoot tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the post and please feel my brain with knowledge!!

KEEP SHOOTING
  15. oldcrustytanker

I apologize for that, I'm still trying to figure out how to utilize this forum. There is a great deal of knowledge here. Thanks for looking out for the newbies!!