Question!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by oldcrustytanker, Jul 12, 2012.

1. oldcrustytanker

oldcrustytanker New Member

Alright, thanks Moody! Yeah that was the only primers that were avaiable at Gander Mountain. I tend to get a little impatient when it comes to a new hobby! Since I have loaded a few I will go ahead and order a bulk pack of a 1000 or so. I have done a lot of research on the load data for these cal. and I believe they will work. I can't wait to try them in the a.m. Thanks for all the information and keep it coming for the first few loads I probably won't do anything without asking you guys first for I have noone around here who really reloads. Thanks again for all the info.
  2. oldcrustytanker

Thanks for the welcome and the encouraging words BlackEagle you are correct I believe I have found the right forum to be a part of!!!!
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Better to ask too many questions than to not ask something important and have to deal with explosive consequences.
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

:yeahthat:

Welcome to the board!
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum keep asking your questions will get answered don't worry bout that:dance::dance::dance:
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use magnum primers across the board in everything and I find they provide tighter velocity spreads and lower SDs.

Both loads youre using look good to me. they arent over or under in any of my manuals by bullet weight.

They should shoot good yor you.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im gonna combine the 2 threads guys.
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks, JLA; you guys do a great job keeping us straight. :)
  9. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Welcome to the forum oldcrustytanker.
  10. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

Very interesting info about the mag primers. If I remember right they were easier to find during the shortage also.

Welcome oldcrustytanker.
  11. oldcrustytanker

Thanks guys! The .380 auto load did not work too well! I looked in the Lee Manual and it stated that the starting load for Bullseye was 3.0 grains. I had a lot of FTF with the 2.5. I'm guessing I just didn't have enough pop underneath the round! If you guys don't mind check and see if your manuals state the same. I do not want to cause any damage to my wife's SIG she would probably be a little hot. I believe I am going to stick with the 5.0 load for the .40cal it was very accurate and I only had one FTF within 250 or so rounds. That's not bad from what I hear! Also, that .380 is a very small handgun fits in the palm of your hand that's why I'm being so gentle with it! Thanks again!!!
  12. oldcrustytanker

Thanks for the help JLA!! I'm still trying to learn the ropes around here my friend!
  13. Black Cat

Black Cat New Member

Buy a good reloading book like Lee Modern Reloading and read it. Reloading is not for those who guess. Hope you have made a better choice in equipment. Never Never use anything diffrent than furnished by reliable sources. Some being powder manufactures and equipment manufactures. Not trying to be nasty. Just don't want you to blow up a gun and maybe hurt yourself.

Welcome to the Forum
  14. mikld

mikld Member

Don't forget the Range Report. We like results/answers too!
  15. oldcrustytanker

Thanks for the advice BlackCat!!! I had gotten the information for the .380 online and it had stated start with 2.5 grains of Bullseye!! It was just a tad light. Believe me I'm not going to guess on anything that involves missing fingers or loss of life!!! I did some massive research on the topic before trying anything. You just have to watch what you find on the internet sometimes. I have a Lee Manual and I will use it from now on, not the internet unless it's something discussed on this forum of course! Really though thanks for the advice I'm new to what they call reloading. Mikld the .40 S&W work great 5.0 grains of Bullseye with CCI 550 primers and 180g FMJ. I found an awesome deal online for the purchase of actual projectiles on everglades.com. They were pretty cheap and offer free shipping.
  16. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

A couple of other thoughts with respect to reloading for the 40 SW. My preference is to use slower burning powder than BE. Powders like WSF, Power Pistol, and Unique fill the case better (easier to spot a double-charge) and give better velocity without approaching max pressures. I do not push max velocities in the 40, rather, if I want that kind of performance, I prefer factory loads. FWIW, I have loaded thousands of rounds of brass fired from Glocks (my own) without any issues; but it is important to be aware of brass quality and be sure to visually check each powder drop.

ps, in your own backyard you can find very good FMJ prices at Precision Delta.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  17. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

i agree with you on the powder choices,, slower is better and more accurate .. as for the glock reloading, did u rebarrel or order a custom sizing die ? ,, as brass life is not good as it gets too much working in that glock chambers are typically at max sami specs and stretch the brass more then normal, so in resizing it gets worked too much and shortens reloading life.