question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Jul 26, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what is a C & R holder mean?
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Here ya go Beth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License#Collectors_of_Curio_and_Relic_.28C.26R.29_Firearms

A special type of FFL is available to collectors of curio or relic (C&R) firearms. C&R firearms are defined in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 478.11 as those "...of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons." An application for a C&R FFL is filed using ATF Form 7CR.

To be recognized by ATF as a C&R firearm, a firearm must fall into at least one of the following three categories:

Firearms manufactured more than 50 years prior to the current date, not including replicas
    Firearms certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum that exhibits firearms as curios or relics of museum interest
    Any other firearms that derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category requires evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.

C&R firearms include most manually operated and semi-automatic firearms used by a military force prior to 1962. This includes most firearms used by the warring nations in World War I and World War II. However, the firearm must normally also be in its original configuration to retain the C&R designation. So, for example, an unaltered Mauser Karabiner 98k rifle used by the German Army in World War II is a C&R firearm—but the same rifle "sporterized" with a new stock and finish is generally not considered a C&R firearm. There is an ambiguous point in how the license is currently administered, in that some firearms altered by the militaries that issued them have been confirmed by the BATFE to retain C&R status, though whether this applies to all such conversions (the examples given by the BATFE were the Spanish M1916 Guardia Civil, FR-7, and FR-8 Mausers) also remains ambiguous. However, as long as the receiver (the part of the firearm that is regulated by the BATFE) is over 50 years old (was manufactured before 1962) the firearm qualifies as a Curio & Relic — the BATFE states explicitly that, in addition to newer firearms it individually approves, firearms automatically achieve C&R status upon turning 50. Certain automatic weapons have been designated as C&R firearms, and although a C&R FFL can be used to acquire these as well, they are also subject to the controls imposed by the National Firearms Act of 1934. ATF maintains a current list of approved C&R firearms on its website.

Licensed collectors (who have been issued a C&R FFL) may acquire C&R firearms in interstate commerce, e.g., via mail or phone order or the Internet, or in person. (This is especially important for collectors of pistols and revolvers since they may not otherwise be acquired outside a collector's state of residence.) However, the selling FFL dealer or collector must have a copy of the buyer's C&R FFL before the C&R firearm can be shipped to the licensed collector. Licensed collectors are not considered to be FFL dealers and have no special privileges concerning non-C&R firearms, nor may they "engage in the business" of regularly selling C&R firearms to persons who do not have an FFL. The purpose of the C&R license is to enable a collector to acquire C&R firearms for his/her personal collection and not to become a firearms dealer.
  3. nukesc

nukesc New Member

Curio and Relic license holder. Generally, any firearm that is 50 years old or older, can be bought by and shipped to, a C&R holder. Yes, I am one. A C&R license is relatively easy to get and inexpensive ($30) as long as you are "legal." No felonies, etc. on your record.
  4. nukesc

nukesc New Member

We posted at the same time, Hogger..........however...........yours was much more comprehensive than mine! What can I say? I'm a man of few words.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so anyone can get a c & R wow thanks for the info guys. i was just looking at auction and it said we will except c & r now i know-cool
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

anyone can get an FFL-01 too beth. As long as you have no felonies or assault charges against you.. Cept with an FFL-01 you need to meet a minimum sales requirement per year to maintain your license, unless of course you operate as a gunsmith like myself, then youre exempt from the minimum sales requirement. The difference between an FFL-01 and a C&R is, with a C&R youre restricted to curios and relics 50+ years old, and FFL-01 covers any non NFA or class 3 small arm, so pretty much any gun that isnt full auto, explosive/destructive, or suppressed.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

One more thing - a C&R is not a license to sell. It mainly allows collectors to have eligible guns mailed/shipped directly to them!
  9. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

I was looking at an AK47 (original design, wood stock) and it was C&R eligible, and I was wondering also. Thanks, guys
  10. gdmoody

If I might ask, where did you find an AK-47 that is C&R eligible? I would be interested in that!!
  11. skullfr

skullfr New Member

12. gdmoody

skull, good list, I own or have owned just about everything on that list since I got my C&R. Every thing except those that say $1495 or $1995.