Question...

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (6/8/01 5:02:59 am)
    | Del All Question...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    what does the C in C-rats and the K in K-rats stand for ? I don't ever recall knowing or the subject ever coming up while in the Army.

gorourke
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/8/01 7:08:49 am)
    | Del Re: Question...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry,

C- Ration, Combat ration.

K-rations, the field ration for U.S. servicemen in WW II, were
    named after The American physiologist who developed them, Ancel
    Benjamin Keys.

P. Gary

low2go
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/8/01 7:16:40 am)
    Larry, you know how the military is with acronyms, and on this one you may get a half dozen expert opinions. I thought the C-Rats was short for COMBAT RATIONS, never heard about what the K stood for--in the dim distant past like WWI, it might have been the contractor-provider--I'm anxious to hear all the variations. It's like the P-38--I thought that was named just randomly by some innovative GI--I have this can opener for opening five gallon buckets and cans that was made by AQUA-TAINER of Shorewood, Ill.---guess the name of the device--you're right--a P-38. I'll be watching for the answer. Wilborn

LarryJK
    (6/8/01 3:53:07 pm)
    I posted the question about the C-Rats on the MP BB and there were 3 that said "Combat Rations". One poster thought maybe "Canned" or "Condensed".

Misterstan
    (6/8/01 4:50:16 pm)
    I've also heard C-rations referred to as "Canned Food Provisions".

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

mt pari
    (6/8/01 5:57:53 pm)
    I would like to know what the P-38 stands for..I have two and they mean a lot to me..be nice to be able to define it.

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (6/8/01 6:37:04 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Question...
    P-38 answer:

It was named the "P-38" because it took 38 punctures to open a standard sized "C" ration can. Also the name is after the P38 "Lightning" which was a WWII era fighter known for its quickness...............

LarryJK
    (6/8/01 7:07:35 pm)
    Dave...thumbs up on the 38 punctures...I did not know that!

homer4
    (6/8/01 8:10:30 pm)
    I always thought "C" stood for..."Carrion",and "K" was for..."Karrion"...

The Minds thought that it was a French sounding name...sort of Caviarish.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.