Questions about Arisaka

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by FromTheShadows, Dec 29, 2005.

1. FromTheShadows

FromTheShadows New Member

I have recently acuired an Arisaka 99 form my father. it is "sporterized." But other than that it is in excelent condition (minus the mum). I am waiting on a shipment of 7.7x58 that i ordered so i can try it out. But since it is butchered anyway, and everything but the gun itself is missing, i am just going to clean it up and have fun with it. screw it's potential value. My question about the 99 is can it fire .308 slugs? i know when reloading, you use a brit .303 slug and either the correct brass, or modifyed .308. If so, i am considering haveing it re-chambered to take .308, mainly because 7.7 is not sold by any gun store in phoenix az. If not, I will just start reloading, once i get someone to teach me.

Now for the other Arisaka. My father has a 44. it is also in the same condition as my 99. missing hand gard and bayonett. also missing the magazine cover. Unlike me, he wishes to restore his gun. Where in god's name can you get all the parts for my fathers 44 without buying a whole other gun?

Interisting side note. Between my 2 grandfathers that were both in word war 2, pacific and europe respectivly, my father and i accuired quite a few war relics. The Arisaka 44 and 99, a mauser 1910 pistol, a springfield 03, an M1 carbine, and 2 M1 garands.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

The 7.7 Jap will have a barrel diameter closer to .311 or .312 I think, so the .308 probably wouldn't work too well. Plus I don't think they make any chamber inserts, so unless you can find one, I believe you would have to rebarrel it.

And then I think you would have to do some work to the bolt-face too.

Changing the barrel and/or the original chambering is going to cost you MEGA bucks, so while it is fun to dream about it, the results are usually not worth the time, effort and money UNLESS you are going to go full bore/damn the torpedoes/money is no object/dammit I WANT a "one-of-a-kind!" But even then you will probably not EVER end up with a rifle worth more than the sum of it's parts.

Why not leave it as is, shoot it occasionally with the $17/20 cheap reloads from a gun show, or the surplus stuff you can occasionally stumble on (the 7.7 is easier to find than the 6.5, I know that much!) and go spend $75 on an decent old Russian M44 and get all the blasting ammo you want for about $35/440 rounds, and decent S&B or Winchester factory ammo for like $10 or $12 a box for hunting? Plus the Mosin's crappy safety is almost, but not quite, as useless and hard to operate as the Arisaka's. :cool:

On the other hand, if you still like to dream, remember that Old Arisaka action is the absolute STRONGEST B/A action ever made, so it just might be a cool starting point for a conversion...(IF you don't mind the CRAPPIEST safety ever designed...)
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  3. FromTheShadows

FromTheShadows New Member

you know, i really don't mind the safty all that much. was difficult to activate, and damn near impossible to deactivate, untill i ground/polished it. now it isn't that bad. And the action is the primary reason i would want to convert. i also know that in burts tests, the 99 out performed most other rifles of it's time. Honestly, I just want to find a way to make my life easier when it comes to aquring ammo. guess i am just going to have to invest in a press and die set....
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, I know the feeling. My son bought a cherry Kokura type 38, about 10 years ago, and then plunked down $35 for a box of Norma ammo for it, and couldn't bring himself to shoot it. Then we tracked down a couple of boxes of the gun-show reloads for half that price and he fell in love with shooting it until the 40 rounds were gone, then perstered me until I bought some dies for it. It is a FINE rifle, but rarely gets shot.

But then again, when I lived and hunted in PA I met an old timer that had a really nice sporterized T38 carbine with a side mount on it he used for deer for decades. He called it his "Jap .25," and killed a lot of deer with it. It was sweet. He reloaded for it of course, and always had plenty of ammo around to shoot.