Questions about High Standard Supermatics

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by SirPoonga, Aug 8, 2011.

1. SirPoonga

SirPoonga New Member

I recently acquired a 1979 High Standard Supermatic Trophy with a 5.5" barrel. I would like a longer barrel and a red dot.

I don't know much about High Standard, though I have shot them in the past. My dad has two - a Citation and a Tournament. I know the barrels are interchangeable and I really like the 7.25" fluted barrel.

However, there seems to be a 10" barrel - otherwise I will find a 7.25" fluted.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=18303/pid=20394/Product/HS_B10990_BARREL_10__MET__SILHOUETTE

Based on what I have been reading that barrel seems to be from the current Texas High Standard era. Can someone confirm this? Are the Texas High Standard barrels already tapped for a rail? I saw a product that said:
    "A Weaver type rail that is attached to the Texas manufactured High Standard pistols with factory drilled and tapped barrels. Proper screws are supplied."
    If so that would be the ideal situation.

I am not completely sure how Mitchell fits into the picture - I haven't read up on High Standard's history. I see Aimtech has a scope mount but it says it is for a Mitchell High Standard. Will that work? (thinking about what to do if I find a fluted barrel)
    http://www.champchoice.com/prod-AIMTECH_HIGH_STANDARD_SCOPE_MOUNT-1317.aspx?

Then, one final question, can the front sight be taken off of the 7.25" barrel? How. When I looked at my dad's Citation it looks riveted on. I found a rail that fits the fluted barrel but requires the front sight to be removed.
    http://www.bme-mounts.com/hs-fl.html
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Here's the history:

Hi Std started in Connecticut before WWII. The models you are referencing are post 1950 guns. Hi Std was forced from their Hamden CT factory in the 1960's when they had financial trouble after loosing their Sears contract. They continued at the smaller East Hartford factory until the early 1980's when they closed their doors. The name was purchased along with all the engineering drawings and I think the manufacturing apparatus (jigs, etc). A new Houston Texas High Standard Company opened there in the late 1980's or early 1990's. Theses are the "Texas" Hi Std's. Today they make fine clones but their early examples left something to be desired. For any Hi Std repairs or parts or service I would contact them directly:

http://www.highstandard.com/

After the Connecticut Hi Std closed its doors one of its executives had some stainless clones made under the Mitchell name but not in the Texas Hi Std Co. plant, which started a lawsuit. Stoeger also had some clones made in Texas and was sued too, as the TX Hi Std Co. owned the name. TX Hi Std won the law suit and the Stoeger and Mitchell clones disappeared from the market place (Mitchell still exists but makes phony so called "collectable" Mauser K98 rifles).

In this post 1950 era, Hi std made several variations identified by their grip angle and the mechanism to remove the barrel. There were slant grip guns, Military grip guns, lever takedown guns, button takedown guns and finally screw takedown guns. They made variation in finish, details, and for various usages (match, field use, and plinking). Some of the model names are Citation, Tournament, Trophy, Victor, Sport King, Field King, and others I can not remember at this time.

I believe today's TX barrels come pre-drilled for a scope rail. But if I were you, I'd look at the web page, then call them to explain what you want. They can tell you if the front sight is removable on their barrels or the one you currently have. On some Hi Std's the barrel just drops on (assuming you get the one for your exact model) but some have to be fitted. TX Hi Std can fit a barrel you buy from them and maybe even some older Connecticut barrel (??).

The guns to steer away from are Mitchells, Stoegers (both are not the equivalent to real Hi Std guns), the screw takedown late Connecticut guns (??) and early TX Hi Std guns (I recommend only the latest TX Hi Std stainless framed gun as the earlier blued frames have had some terrible problems over the years.

The guns to have are the Hamden CT guns first, the East Hartford CT guns next (except for the very last screw takedown guns, which are better avoided as the quality MAY be suspect), and todays TX Hi Std guns (not earlier blued framed versions). The pricing of used guns reflects this order. There, of course, are exceptions to these recommendations but collectors drive the pricing so finish is super important for pricing. For shooters nearly all CT Hi Stds shoot with the same excellent accuracy.

Here's a hint: Keep a good standard recoil spring in the gun at all times and only shoot Standard Velocity ammo. If you don't, you can eventually crack the frame on Connecticut guns. Supposedly (??) the new TX guns are immune to that cracking due to materials changes in the frame.

I included a lot of info here, not knowing where you were at in your Hi Std knowledge. Sorry if it is too much.

LDBennett
  3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga New Member

Thanks for the info. I don't know anything on High Standard other than my dad has a 1968 and a 1974 high Standard (he can tell me all about the day he bought them new). The 7.25" fluted from his Citation fit my Trophy. My grandpa gave me the Trophy. He hasn't shot it in 5 years. I saw a serial number website and determines it was a 1979. That's all the info I know so far. He gave it to me this past weekend when I went to his place to show him my new shotgun.

Until now all I really shot was shotguns and rifles. But I've been wanting a long barrel .22 pistol for some time.

Even with your information some of my questions still need answering. I contact High Standard and see what they say first. If I can get the 10" barrel with a scope mount that is what I will prefer. Otherwise I need to know if that AIMTECH mount will work.

I want to keep the gun unmodified - just get swappable parts or attachments. I know how important it is to have all original parts if I have to sell it.
  4. LDBennett

SirPoonga:

I would warn you that any 22LR pistol with a 10 inch barrel is one heavy monster. Unless you are only going to shoot it off a bench rest or supported, I think you will find it tough to hold out even double handed for long. A Trophy with a 7 inch barrel is a heavy gun at about 40 ounces. The 10 inch version would be substantially heavier, I would think.

The 10 inch barrel from Brownells is tapped for TX Hi Std's rail as it comes from TX Hi Std. The AimTech mount is set up so you can use either the open sights or whatever scope or red dot is sitting on the rail. It attaches (I believe) under the grip panels (??). If you mount a rail directly to the barrel then the red dot or scope will block the open sights. The BME mount encircles and clamps onto the barrel and the front sight has to be removed. The front sight is held on by a single screw.

As an aside, your 1979 Trophy is the model the current TX models are based on. It is a Military grip, button takedown, ML series, East Hartford gun. It is not the last model (the SH, which has the screw takedown, is). It will turn out for you to be an excellent shooter. Factory parts are available from Brownells in their OEM section:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=371/schematicsdetail/Supermatic_Trophy_STR_M__M_Grip

LDBennett
  5. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

You'll find a bunch of excellent resource people at the High Standard forum at rimfirecentral.com.
  6. SirPoonga

SirPoonga New Member

I understand the weight issue. That is why I am looking at the fluted barrel. Interesting Brownell's fluted barrel says tapped for the rail. If it is anything like the original fluted barrel that my dad has there isn't much room for a screw.

I am also looking at Volquartsen's barrel.
  7. LDBennett

SirPoonga:

The barrel you linked to is a TX High Standard product. My TX Trophy has a the 7+ inch fluted barrel with the tapped holes for a rail. I have the Hi Std rail on mine along with a UltraDot one inch dia. red dot. it is a very good setup.

Volquartsen makes some really accurate barrels but of late they seem more aimed at lightness (steel mini barrel with an aluminum sleeve. But they may have others. I would not buy a Volquartsen barrel thinking it would out shoot an original or Texas Hi Std barrel because those Hi Std barrels are extremely accurate barrels.

LDBennett
  8. SirPoonga

SirPoonga New Member

Sounds like the setup I am intersted in.
  9. LDBennett

A good gunsmith can drill and tap holes in your barrel to fit the Hi Std rail or TX Hi std can do it for you. You can also try the Rimfire Central Hi Std repair guru. He also may be able to do it. He's a good guy that knows Hi Std's like the back of his hand. He could also inspect the gun, change out the recoil spring, and make sure is all well. I would trust my Hi Std's to him, for sure:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbarta/otherstuff.html

Or just buy a new TX Hi Std barrel and the Hi std rail and you would be good to go. I still think any old Hi Std should have its recoil spring changed at regular intervals or at least measured to make sure its force is still iin 90% of its starting point (5.5 lbs force).

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=18288/pid=20394/Product/HS_B10981_BARREL_7_1_4__FLUTED__STR_M

and the rail

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7266/sku=430-000-122/Product/Universal_Scope_Mount__w_2_Screws

LDBennett
  10. SirPoonga

SirPoonga New Member

High Standard answered all of my questions. I will be going with the 7.25" fluted barrel and scope mount. Thanks a lot for the information.