questions about mos-nagant 91-30

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by accident, Sep 16, 2009.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i have 2 91-30's. was thinking of putting stock,bent bolt,scope mts on 1 of them.Question:has anyone here done this and did it work out?can i,or gunsmith shorten it afterwards?how well does this scope mount hold zero after 100 rounds? sorry so many questions but i would like an experienced knowledgeable persons opinion beforehand.THANKS!!
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

accident:

I'll not bore you with the details but the receivers are hard to drill and tap as they are hardened. The gun is so crude that a mount lined up with the receiver will not necessarily be lined up with the bore. A gunsmith who does these guns all the time should be used as he will align the mount to the bore rather than the receiver. I don't have the tools to do that (a lathe and mill are no enough!) but a good M-N gunsmith does. My son-in-law found a M-N gunsmith but the backlog is many months and the cost pretty high for this very inexpensive surplus gun. There are clone scopes and mounts available to make it look very close to a sniper rifle of the day. It needs the turned down bolt handle as well to clear any scope.

I think the effort is wasted but that's just me. I did mine and it turned out kind of OK but not perfect. The gun now has more invested in it than it is worth.... dumb!

LDBennett
  3. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

thanks again LD.i think i'll spend that $ on something else.
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I ruined a 91/30 a few years ago when I tried to install a kit that I bought online. It had the new bolt handle that riveted on & the scope mount. I used their drill bit which cut the holes ok but then their tap snapped off in the first hole. After playing with the pieces a while I took the useable parts of the rifle & scrapped the barrel & action.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Popgunner:

I didn't break any taps but the mount didn't align with the bore. I resolved then to let a professional do it next time. My son-in-law found a gunsmith that only does this kind of stuff on these old guns and has a large machine shop and is backed up for months. The guy does tons of work and it is all very well done and done right.

These old bolt military guns were made or at least designed when you could not get the steel you can get today. Consequently they case hardened them or used carbon rich steel and hardened them all the way through... you never know which. The professionals locally remove the hardness with a pin flame from a torch on an area that they grind away the surface (small dot) exactly where they are going to drill and tap. But us amateurs don't know exactly when to stop the heat and may take the heat treat away from an important part of the receiver. This is all too tricky for me. I'll not be mounting any more scopes on old military guns anymore. The results for me were not worth the effort or the worry. I'll keep with the military sights on those I can not get a bolt on mount that uses no extra drilled and tapped holes.

You did know that the receiver could be salvaged? They use some kind of electrical discharge machining to burn away the tap but I'll bet the cost is more than an old Mosin-Nagant is worth. You did know the bolt handle part of the bolt simply comes off and you can exchange it for an original bent bolt handle without effecting the headspace or anything for that matter? My son-in-law had several which he sold to a gun show dealer. No rivets or screws.

While Mauser and Mosin-Nagants are interesting they are not as much fun to shoot as say a FN/FAL or my H&K 91 clone, PTR-91, or my M1 Garands. I'm not a burst shooter but slow semi-auto operation is more fun for me.

LDBennett
  6. zant

zant Active Member

My son has a Moisin that he bought a scout mount for.It was made by UTG and cost 29.95...simple solution,seems to work good enough to dump deer at 150yds.