Questions about Mosin 91/30 or m44?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by GojuBrian, Feb 4, 2009.

1. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

Which do you think is better, 91/30 or m44? Why?

Is there an accuracy difference?

Which country of origin is best?

They have several at the local armory for $120, good price?

What are some things to look for when selecting one?

Which ammo should I avoid?

Can I use it as a CCW?...joking :D

All help is appreciated. :cool:
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I like both of mine. The 91/30 was accurate right out of the box, unlike the M-44, which had problems even the local gunsmith couldn't fix. I put a scope on it and now it's as accurate as the 91/30.

As far as ammo, they will happily plow through anything you feed them. I got a 440 round spam tin of milsurp ammo for $100 last fall, it's corrosive but I always clean my guns thoroughly anyway so that doesn't concern me.

I chose the Mosin Nagants because they were too inexpensive not to own. These both cost $99 at a sporting goods chain store, purchased at different times. I've seen them at gun shows recently for upwards of $200 and some have been refinished. I just scrape off the cosmoline and clean them and they're fine. I get lots of comments at the range about my "cannons", as I am small and my rifles are large.
  3. Both rifles are excellent values for the dollars spent, Goju. Which one is better depends largely on what you intend to use it for. Generally speaking, I've found the 91/30 to have a slight edge on accuracy and range, assuming the rifles compared have similar wear on their barrels.

You will find most of the imported Mosin Nagant rifles are Russian made, in one of two armories, Izhevsk or Tula. The difference may be determined from the proof markings on the barrel. There is, however, a version of the 91/30 built in Finland at the Tikkakoski armory, often called the Tikki. Overall, the rifles made at Tula are generally considered a bit better than the Izhevsk built rifles. The Finnish 91/30s are generally better than either of the Russian rifles, but they are also much more expensive and hard to find.

You will see the Mosin Nagants ranging from around $90.00 to $150 or so. Assuming the rifle you have in mind is of good quality, $120 is pretty much in the ball park.

First of all, check the barrel for wear! Some of these rifles were "rode hard and put away wet," as the old saying goes. :D Make sure the lands and grooves are in decent shape and that the barrel is not pitted. The ammo used for these rifles was corrosive, and if they were not properly cared for, you could have severe pitting in the barrel. Also check the the bolt for proper function and that it works smoothly.

Ammo for these rifles is quite plentiful, and most of it is reasonably reliable, but it is steel cased and often quite old, as in 1950s manufacture. Some of the stuff made in Eastern Europe I've found to be less than reliable. With the ammo, it is pretty much a crap shoot. The Russian manufactured stuff is usually the best, assuming you can find it.
  4. marjef1927

marjef1927 New Member

I bought my 90/31 at AimSurplus.com for $89.00. It was in prime condition and is very accurate.
  5. momo

momo Former Guest

In general the 91/30 is more accuate han the m44. If you can find a 91/30 with a Tikka (Finnish) barrel then you will have the most accurate of the lot. They're more expensive than a Russian 91/30. One hundred twenty for a Russian is ok, but I've seen them as low as 69.95, just make sure you check the barrel and the action is smooth. As far as ammo, the Russian, Polish and Hungarian are pretty good.
  6. Longspring

Longspring New Member

All great replys ! I personally prefer the 91/30 ....but in the end it depends on the particular rifle , bore condition etc .
  7. buckkiller

buckkiller New Member

the 91/30 will get a little better accuracy and wont hurt your should near as bad.:cool:
  8. scubamark86

scubamark86 New Member

Re: Questions about Mosin 91/30 or?

Today i went to a gun show and walked away with a 1925 91/30 all matching numbers for 119.00 in good shape. There are markings stamped all over this thing, markings in the butt, on the side, all over the top where the barrel is, i was wondering if anyone knew of a directory to what these markings stood for.
    scubamark86 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
  9. Will_G

Will_G New Member

Hey ScubaMark,

One of the best reference sites for Mosins is this one:

7.62x54r.net/

They also have a link titled Mosin Nagant Rifle Guide to Proofs and Markings that you will likely find helpful.

Congratulations on your 1925 91/30! I think you will really enjoy it, probably even coming down with "Mosinitis."
  10. gandog56

gandog56 Member

If I could only get one and not the other, I would probably go with the 91/30. A bit more accurate due to the longer barrel.
  11. Cautious Bob

Cautious Bob New Member

Thanks to Will G for the Mosin sites.
    I have one 91/30 (marked "New England Westinghouse Company 1915"), and one 1944 carbine (Chinese I assume..can't read that lingo) appears to be 1953 manufacture.
    I love them both.
    My 91/30 is like that big, ugly dog you can't turn away, and eventually, love to death. Despite its faults, it is accurate, powerful, very tough, inexpensive to obtain (got mine at gun show about 15 years ago, packed in cosmoline, for the unbelievable price of $39.00..should have bought 10!), and ammo is still cheap and plentiful.
    With a kick like a mule, and a muzzle flash like a 10-inch naval gun, the M44 carbine is an experience to shoot. I don't think mine is quite as accurate as the long gun, but is much lighter and handier.
    My advice; get both.
    Mosinitis is catching. I have my eye on several different versions right now. I am just waiting for the most important thing; permission...
  12. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi! I got and shoot an M91/30 Soviet production (y.1941), captured and re-worked by the Finns. Personally I prefer the 91/30 because has a little bit better accuracy due to the longer barrel (sometimes a long barrel is important) and it doesn´t hurt your should as bad.
  13. islenos

islenos New Member

I found that my worst looking, hacked out receiver, brass screwed handguard, ugly ugly ugly 91/30 would hold just over and inch moa with surplus rounds.

You just never know
  14. Austing

Austing New Member

With a long enough coat and a rifle sling, an M44 could possibly be concealed. Still, I would never endorse it as a CCW. =)
  15. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

I have a 91, but it has a p/u scope on it. Just to have one I would choose a 44, they are a little handier, and I wouldn't likely shoot anything past 200 yards anyway, but that of course is an opinion. As for ammo, if you can, avoid the corrosive stuff.But it is safe to use corrosive ammo (so long as your rifle isn't totally worn out, I haven't seen a mosin that was anyway), just be sure to clean your rifle like it was a church. The problem with the corrosive ammo is that when fired the mercuric primers under go a chemical change leaving basically, salt in your barrel. You need to get this stuff out of there pronto as it will cause rust under the oil. The best way to do this is with hot soapy water. Windex also works well, and don't be afraid to use it, just remember to clean and oil it afterwards. For hunting with my mosin I like wolf gold in 180 grain pointed soft point. You'll likely be happy with either of the two firearms and I don't see them giving you a problem. In an earlier post someone complained of accurcy in the 44, I think it could have been user error considering that a scope fixed the problem. If you want to accurize this rifle for less than a dollar, I can tell you how. It did wonders for my 91. happy shooting!