Questions about my 1st 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Gammetrunner, Feb 21, 2011.

1. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Heres a couple of sites I found that give ser#'s. Ima going to keep looking.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt%20production.htm
    http://www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm

EDIT... Whilst searching I found an interesting tidbit regarding my Ithaca. My Ser# is 1452***. On both of the sites I listed above, mine would be a 1943 Ithaca.
    In Clawson's book it is listed as a 1944.:confused:Clawson is considered to be THE authority on M1911A1's so I guess mine is a year newer. Lots of mis-information floating around out there. The op's gun is still listed in all three sources as a 1944 R/R.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

See what I mean. Now, I'll have to change my notes. :D

There is some misinformation still out there and I don't know if it will ever be corrected. We can only keep trying.
    Thanks for the correction.

When I wrote the History of the 1911 National Match Pistol for Syd, I caught a mistake there but got it corrected before submitting the article for print. The 1911 will keep you on your toes. :)
  3. Gammetrunner

Gammetrunner New Member

Yeah, I checked several sites as well and it is a bit confusing. I looks like a RR some places and an Ithaca in others. Was it common in this time when these were manufactured to mix and match slides and frames from the factory? Or I guess it could have been done later
  4. TheGunClinger

You have a Colt slide and a Remington Rand frame. It is a parts gun. After the war all of the M1911A1's were sent to various arsenals for refurbishing. They were stripped of all parts which were thrown into bins. Then the bins were cherry picked for the best of the best and then were refurbished and re-parked. Then they re-assembled using all the mish mash parts and came out with a nicely re-furbed M1911A1 pistol. Sometimes you got lucky and all the parts were from one supplier and most times not. Thats the beauty of Mil-spec. You can mix and max most any brand of gun and still have a nice wartime M1911A1.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yea, same thing I have. Even though its a parts gun, it holds alot of history. It may not be worth as much as a matched gun, but it still has value and is going up every year. I just appreciate the history so much, I want to pass mine along to the next generation. If it could only talk....
  6. TheGunClinger

Same as me. All I need to make mine correct is a 7 rib mainspring housing and a right Keyes grip.
  7. Gammetrunner

Gammetrunner New Member

Great info. Thanks
  8. Gammetrunner

Gammetrunner New Member

Stripped it down completely and cleaned it real good. Can tell that hadn't been done for a lonnng time. Question about the main spring. Is it supposed to be so stiff and difficult to get the housing back into place? I felt like it was a chore to do. I had to really tap the pin to set it back into place.