The Firearms Forum banner

Questions about old Winchester cal 22 riffel.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
Hi there
I'm new here in this forum ( from Denmark ) hoping there is some clever guys out there which can help me!!
My grand father have given me a very old but 100% intact cal.22 riffel.
Which again he's father have own from he's imigrations to US.
Can anyone tell me anything about that riffel.
on the side on the barrel there is stamp M / 71

etc.
1) model year
2) how many produced
3) maybe the story about this riffel

I will try attach some pictures

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That is indeed a winchester low wall. Very similar to the Steves favorites and M44s.. esentially a very scaled down lever action breechloader, or falling block rifle. the original designs derived from the Sharps rifles of american civil war era.

It looks to be in very good shape to boot.

#5 ·
Hi guys
Yeah it is a nice riffel.We tried shooting last night, and it shows on 50 yards only 5-6cm between each. I was just hoping find out how old it is.
Only few things i remember from my grand father when he spoke about this riffel, He always says this riffel is so perfect in balance, and then again he explain that he's father brought it with him home from US as the only riffel which he want keep, it been around 1920-1930.

Sorry my english not is perfect

#6 ·
youre good. We can understand perfectly. That date is on the later end. Im gonna guess that ones between 1900 and 1930 for sure. no way to tell for sure unless you have the serial traced if theres one present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.