Questions for Bob in SL concerning Spanish Steel.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Boogalou
    (1/30/02 6:49:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Questions for Bob in SL concerning Spanish Steel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Bob, first post here. I'm a newbie concerning those fine handguns from Spain. Have a few questions and need your expertise. First, although I can't hardly stand the looks of Astra 400's

Well, apparently I lost most of my orginal post. Any thoughts on Llama pistols, Star B feed problems, Ruby pistol collecting, Gene Gangarosa's book on Spanish handguns & the Astra Condor & Falcon. Hope it works this time.

Edited by: Boogalou at: 1/30/02 10:22:29 pm

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/30/02 11:36:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Questions for Bob in SL concerning Spanish Steel.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was wondering what happened to the first post.

It may be a little bit before Bob responds; he just got a new job and probably isnt comfortable enough there to start goofing off yet. He usually checks in late in the evening and/or early in the morning.

He is the man on Spanish steel, though! Makes me look like a piker...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Edited by: AntiqueDr at: 1/30/02 11:37:42 pm

Bob In St Louis
    (1/31/02 8:39:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Questions for Bob in SL concerning Spanish Steel.
    Wow! Missed your original post. I have been a bit busy lately - didn't even get on the board yesterday. I may have to write about this in segments - If I write for too long in a single post, my stone age machine tends to lock up and loose things.

Ruby style pistols - man, what a wide open field! There were somewhere around 28 different Eibar firms delivering the Ruby pattern pistol to the French Government during WWI, and the pattern continued to be manufactured for commercial sales well after the war. I am intrigued by this area of collecting, and I am always looking for the myriad variations in this area. I have picked up 6 Alkartasuna made Rubys now - every one of them is different in some marking or feature. I also have the Astra made 1915/16s, plus many other makers.There are still tons more of other manufacturers I am still looking for! One prominant post war manufacturer of these pistols was Paramount.

Gene Gangarosa's book is good - he has a lot of information packed in it. The thing is, there was so much variability in the Eibar region manufacturers, I have already found several pistols that fall outside his descriptions.

Llama pistols - I like the early pistols around WWII - I have some excellent militaries in 9mm Largo and 32ACP. These pistols were patterned on the 1911 design. Later Llama production (1960s to 1980s) is a bit questionable.

Star B feed problems - what I have seen before is that these pistols like military ball ammo - especially hotter loads. Several I have fired are not consistent with US commercial ammo.

Now - I'll have to go back and read your post and think up some more responses.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Bob In St Louis
    (1/31/02 8:47:04 pm)
    Thats what I missed - Astra Condors and Falcons! These pistols are the post-WWII refinement of the earlier astra tube slide design. These were manufactured in the mid-1950s.The Falcon (Astra Model 4000) I have is in 380ACP and was manufactured in 1957. The design is very similar to the earlier Astra 300, only it has an exposed hammer. These were not manufactured in as high of quantity as the earlier models, so they do have some collectors value if you find them.

Keep on asking! It looks like a lot of your original post was somehow lost. I am always looking to talk Spanish steel!

TallTLynn
    (1/31/02 9:05:20 pm)
    I happen to like my Ruby pistol in .38.

Oh dang now I got to go make sure that's what it is - geez!
    TLynn

Boogalou
    (1/31/02 10:06:02 pm)
    Thanks for the info Bob. My first spanish handgun is a parkerized Star B that I really like. The only problem is the darn mags. If I load more then 5 rounds in them they usually jam! I've polished the ramp, cleaned the mags, but any rounds over 5 and they nosedive right into the ramp. I think the mag springs are to strong. Sometimes the cases extract over my head, but that's a small price to pay. I also just purchased the Star "BM" and that is a nice, accurate pistol. Of course it makes me want more! I will keep my eye out for postwar Llama's. They do have a pretty bad reputation in the 1911 colt crowd. Have heard that the newest versions are not bad. After reading Gene's book, I assume that the Condor & Falcon are somewhat rare in this country. What about the Astra Constable? And finally, I know about Numrich's & Bob's gun parts but is there anyone else I should know about for spanish gun parts? Sorry to ask you so many questions but you seem to be the resident expert. When I tell people about spanish steel they look at me like I'm crazy.

Bob In St Louis
    (2/1/02 4:52:18 pm)
    Sneaking in for a quick check at work! It does sound like you have a magazine spring problem in the Star B.

I am not too familiar with the Astra Constable - a little too new for my venue! However, what I have seen of them, they look like well made little 22s.

Parts for Spanish pistols - check out 9mmLargo.com - they reference several sources.

An excellent reference on the Astra pistols is "Astra Pistols" by Leonardo Antaris. Len has put together an excellent illustrated history of the Astras, and he is currently due to put out a volume on the Star Pistols. They are not cheap books, but well worth the investment if you are into Spanish steel.

AntiqueDr
    (2/1/02 4:55:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Questions for Bob in SL concerning Spanish Steel.
    MAG RAMP NO GO!!!!! WHACK IT!!!!!!

BY GOD!!!!
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Bob In St Louis
    (2/1/02 9:39:54 pm)
    DANG! I had a big discussion on Ruby style pistols typed up here, and my damn computer froze and dumped it all.

DANG MAG RAMP NO GO! STICK IT UP COMPUTER'S HARD DRIVE?

WHACK IT!!!!

Dang, where have I heard that before? DeJa VU? Long ago and far away place?

Xracer
    (2/1/02 10:07:46 pm)
    Hey Bob.....that's what ya get for using a Basque computer.

Bob In St Louis
    (2/2/02 3:40:12 pm)
    Actually, I found a tag on the back "Assembled in Afghanistan by fine Al Quaida Craftsman"

Bin Laden's revenge.