Questions on Garate Anitua & C

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rocklinskier, Nov 16, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Hey all,

Trying to locate a couple of parts for this pistol. My understanding is that it is a S&W replica or knockoff?? Does that mean I can get S&W parts for it? Specifically the cylinder ratchet and/or a new hand.

If so, which model of Smith would I order parts from.

This is a 38 Long with 4 1/2" barrel.

Also, anyone want to take a stab at the age for me? Serial #225XX
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Garate Anitua & C is one of many Spanish makers that made S&W look-alikes.
    Probably made sometime in the 1st half of the 20th Century.
    There are no parts that are interchangable with a real S&W that I know of.
    Interesting guns, but not really shooters. They tend to have softer steel in them and will shoot loose fairly rapidly. I don't know that I would trust one with modern ammo. (Of course, being in Colt 38 Long, you're probably not going to find much modern ammo in the first place.:D)
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

From what I know about the they had 2 s&W knockoffs. One was a break action based on the S&W 2nd model the other was based off the model 10. I don't think the parts interchange. They based there design on the function of the gun not part for part. If I'm mistaken and they are interchangeable the hand and the ratchet are hot swap parts, they require fitting for range and timing by a gunsmith.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Garate made " copies " of both the S&W and the Colt. These Eibar guns were copies, not clones. Some times S&W and Colt parts can be made to fit, most often not. These guns were classified as Cottage industry and as such had a lot of hand fitting, even parts form an identical gun and maker require extensive hand fitting. While the large Spanish manufactures used steel that was equal to any used in Europe, this was not true of the small cottage gun makers. The steel used was either soft or cast iron. They simply did not have the facility's to process and work tempered steel. Anitua Garate and Co. was not one of the survivors of the Spanish Civil war. You have nothing to lose by giving it a go, but first you must identify what gun it is a copy of. Also , even if you repair it, because of the soft steel, something else will quickly wear out or break. I will say that Gurate was one of the better makers in the Eibar region, He made copies of both the Clement and Manclicher autos. and even a copy of the British Mark 1 revolver, that the British contracted for in WW I ( Called by the British " Pistol OP No1 Mark 1" ) Hope that helps
  5. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

lots of good info here, thanks everybody.

So since the cylinder ratchet is pretty trashed, I guess so is the gun? Is there any alternative to repair the worn teeth? Was figuring since the ratchet was shot, replacing the hand would be needed as well. Not that this would be a shooter, but it's in pretty nice cosmetic shape. It would be nice if it were shootable, plus, I just like fooling with this stuff.
  6. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I suppose you could try to find something close and do a little fitting.
    The problem is that most of the Spanish junkers you might find for parts are probably going to have worse ratchets than yours.
    Another choice would be to build the ratchet back up with a TIG welder and then re-cut the teeth with a Dremel. However, that would have to be a work of love. There's no way the gun is worth the effort required.:D
  7. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Finding something close I am willing to do, TIG welding is out of the question. The gun belongs to a friend of mine and I'm hoping to help him out by the above proposed idea. It belonged to his father in law and we were just hoping to bring it back to 'shootable' condition, but not worth any massive or extreme efforts.
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Actually, most of those Spanish "cottage" guns are better being left in unshootable condition.;)
  9. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Point taken :D

Oh, and to address an earlier post...it is a copy of the Model 10