Questions on new Kimber

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by rocklinskier, Nov 8, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Hey all,

My lovely wife suprised the heck outta me yesterday. Our 25th anniversary is just around the corner and she wants to buy me a Kimber!! SWEET :D :D

So, we went-a-lookin. Found what I wanted, but have a question or two.

It looks as though it only comes with one magazine. Should it come with two? It also appeared to be just a plain jane mag. I wouldda thought it would be autographed with the Kimber name on the foot plate. Are they doing a presto chango here, or is that the norm?

This is a fairly expensive pistol (over $1K) It would be a bit dissapointing to have to spend an extra $70 right outta the gate for a couple of good mags. Are the Kimber mags good? Should there be two in the box? Looking at their website, it does appear that they have a couple of different 'grades' of magazines. Maybe this one comes only with one of the lower end ones.

One more thing: Would those here recommend the nylon buffer pads be installed on a full size Kimber? It seems like a good idea, and If so, I wonder why they don't do that as a stock install.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

First question for ya would be, What are you looking at? As far as I know, Kimbers retail with only one mag. If you're worried about extra mags, have them throw in a new Wilson or McCormick mag and a box of ammo to complete the deal. I think they'd be willing to do that.
  3. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wooley, with all due respect I have to dissagree. If I were to "throw in" magazines and ammo I would be outa business. If I sell something that cost me 800 bucks I only pocket around 75 bucks tops. There is not that much markup in guns. I have stuff priced 7-8 percent over my cost and the big boys are kickin my but on prices. I have about a dollar to a dollar and a half over my cost on my ammo. If I special order one handgun my shipping is 20 bucks. It takes alot of sales to make any money...
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Never hurts to ask though, and only One mag, not multiples. It does depend too on repoire with the LGS and the asking price on the gun. I have no issue with them making a fair mark-up either, i believe in supporting a good LGS and will gladly pay a few $$ more to keep them around. If they told me, no mag or an extra mag at cost, then it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker so long as the price was fair. I think it's fair to say that I'm not going to beat someone up over a fair price; also fair to say that I'm going to do my homework and get as good a deal as I can without being overly stubborn.
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

You won't need the shok buff on any 1911. Sort of like fishing lures designed to catch fishermen. :D
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have a target mdl in 10 mm and i purchased extra mags from kimber and they did have the kimber name on them. My gun is stainless but will get surface rust if you bring it out in the rain on a hunt. Keep your gun lubed. Very good weapon nice and tight. Good move and enjoy.

Edit/ mine came with one clip too
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Stainless is just that, stain less. It will rust like anything else if not properly cared for.
  9. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Picked up the new Eclipse last night!!!! :) :) Can't wait to break it in this weekend! Very happy camper.

When I picked it up, it did have one 8 rnd 'Kimber' mag...I'm starting to think they just had a generic mag out for handling the pistol so that the brand new factory mag wasn't getting marred up by people handling, dropping, etc. in the store. The mag in the box had not a single scratch or sign of it being in the gun at all. Still had the packing grease on it. I am the only one who handled it. I know that because when I was looking at the guns, they brought out two of them for me from the back room. They were not on display yet, and the price wasn't even written on the tag. I handled both guns for which one 'felt' best, made the purchase, and they put it away until i picked it up last night.

So, no shok buffer huh?? interesting. They sure 'sell it up' on the couple of web sites that sell them (Ed Brown, Brownells', etc.)

I guess it's like a stainless steel guide rod on a Glock.....why? But they do sell em'.
  10. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

John,

I recently purchased two Wilson's to solve a feed problem with an old 1927, so those can do double duty, and I can use the Kimber OEM as a backup/third mag. Will run a few rounds through it for sure, but since I've already dropped the dough, the factory mag will probably be just a 'closet' unit for the most part.