The Firearms Forum banner

Questions on purchasing 1911 9mm mags

Tags
3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  RuffLock 
#1 ·
Getting ready to order some new magazines for my STI Spartan 9mm. They come with one 9rd Metalform SS magazine that has a V-channel on the front of the magzine body. Am I correct in understanding that this is what is called the Springfield-style magazine?

Next question, is there a difference between that and the Metalform Colt Model 1911 9mm magazine I found here (not the best pic angle)?:
http://www.combattactical.com/metalform-colt-model-1911-p-170670.html

I wanted to be sure before purchasing b/c that is a great price! Also, I tried a Kimber 9mm magazine in my Spartan today and it did not properly lock the slide open (stuck about halfway). I noticed it had a rounded front to the magazine body and wasn't sure if that was a factor?

#10 ·
No problem Beth. How's your Spartan running btw? I have put about 600 rounds through mine with no malfunctions and no cleaning (other than a bore snake down the barrel). I'm trying to see how long I can go before it decides enough is enough. For as finicky a gun as the 1911 critics say, I have found it to be extremely reliable thus far. I've run other guns through less ammo than that without cleaning and had malfunctions (usually the extractor got gummed up). Note: I did break it down, clean it up and lube it once prior to shooting it, but nothing since.

#11 ·
Ruff, sam has reported the same reliability with his sparty as you have. He won 3 matches with it straight out of the box and has run alot of rounds thru it without a hitch. That is why he continues to say it is the best 1911 for the money on the market.

#12 ·
Dan, I have to agree with him in every respect. I just got my new Metalform mags in the mail today and ran straight to the range to compete in my first IDPA match. Once again, the Spartan ran flawlessly with no malfunctions whatsoever. I will admit to finally breaking down and cleaning it prior to the match, but I'm happy with it's reliability as it fired over 600 rounds with nothing more than it's initial clean and lube.

The match went well, and I'm happy with my first effort. My accuracy was good, with only a few hits just below the down 0 circle on the targets wearing clothing. Gonna have to get used to that slightly higher target zone. I was very happy with my shooting pace, and the speed of my reloads. That really makes all the difference in times. There was a wide variety of shooters with varying skill levels and I found it to be an enjoyable atmosphere. Found myself in cheerleader mode with folks who were newer shooters, along with the excitement of watching the revolver guys figuring out how to approach each stage with their limited round capacity. I can't wait to do it again! Thanks again Sam for your recommendations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.