The Firearms Forum banner

Questions on using the best slug for a particular barrel.

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
Hi. I would like to know what would be the best type of slugs top use with each particular barrel. I used to have a Remington 20 gauge with a rifled barrel that I used for sabot slugs. I understand this is the best combination or it was 12 years ago when I was into shotguns and hunting.

I am getting back into the sport and I no longer have the 20 gauge, but I just acquired a Mossberg 88 12 gauge with 20" cylinder bore barrel. I am trying to avoid buying a rifled barrel at the moment. What would be the best type of slug to use with this barrel that would give me the greatest distance and accuracy? Would there be a difference between a standard slug and a rifled slug being shot out of this barrel?

I also plan on getting a 28" barrel with interchangeable chokes for small game and clay targets. I understand you can shoot slugs out of these types of barrels as long as you have the right choke. I thought I read somewhere that they make a rifled choke that can be used with sabot slugs, is this true? What would be the best type of slug and choke to use with this type of barrel?

I would really appreciate your input. If you can at least point me in the right direction so I can try out a couple different options that would work best with my shotgun I would really appreciate it. Thank You.

See less See more
#2 ·
You will only be able to use Forster type (rifled) slugs in your cylinder bore barrel. Anything else will keyhole immediately.

Yes; some shotguns offer rifled chokes. Only experimentation with different saboted shells will tell you what kind of accuracy you may (or may not) get. Effectively you are looking at 100 yards or less without having a rifled barrel, and even then some barrels simply don't group worth a darn.

#3 ·
That open cyl barrel will shoot rifles slugs just fine. just grab a few boxes of various brands, weights and velocities and test it to see what it likes.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum! You will be just fine with that Mossberg 88 12 gauge with 20" cylinder bore barrel, and foster slugs. Like JLA said, try different brands, weights, and velocities. Each gun is different, and it might take a little while to find the one your gun likes, but you will find it. As already stated you will be limited to around 100 yds, depending on how well your gun shoots that favorite load. Do not shoot the slugs in the 28" barrel unless you have the cylinder bore choke in it. The slug, can, and will eventually, pull the threading out of the barrel.

#5 ·
Actually Myles that is exactly why Rifled slugs are 'rifled', It is so they can easily swage down and pass thru a choke without dangerous pressures or damage to the firearm. If your shotgun has screw in chokes just make sure they are tight. Its ideal to shoot them in a CYL bore, but also acceptable to shoot them thru and I/C, MOD, or FULL. Just know that accuracy will degrade as choke constriction increases..

#6 ·
I don't mean to change the topic of the thread, but is the point of impact (at close range) the same with a slug as it is with birdshot, buckshot, etc? (I guess the point of aim being the center of the shot pattern) Since beads aren't that consistent, let's say this is tested with a shotgun w/ ghost rings, or a red dot sight.

#7 ·
I don't mean to change the topic of the thread, but is the point of impact (at close range) the same with a slug as it is with birdshot, buckshot, etc? (I guess the point of aim being the center of the shot pattern) Since beads aren't that consistent, let's say this is tested with a shotgun w/ ghost rings, or a red dot sight.
it is on my 18.5" HD shotgun, although I only shot a slug at something at close range once just to see what it would do. You have to get out to where the various velocities come into play to see much difference, if you're close in they don't have enough distance to rise or fall.

#8 ·
Depends! When I shot a slug thru my full choke barrel it hits left, and low by at least a foot, so POI is not the same with birdshot as it is with a slug in a full choke, or modified choke. If I shoot the slug thru an open bore, IC, then the POI for birdshot should be the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.