1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Questions & Thoughts

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mr.subsonic74, Nov 20, 2007.

1. mr.subsonic74

mr.subsonic74 New Member

First, let me say Hello to all--I am a FNG here--and I look forward to learning and contributing. I am a Varmint Hunter died in the wool and baptized in the fire of combat.

I have a very general question: I am considering another rimfire for pest control. My current "Go-To- Boogie" Varmint long-gun is a 10/22 with a Green River Heavy Fluted BBl, Hogue Thumbhole Stock, 2.5lb Trigger Job and a BSA 6-24x40 Mil Dot-- For close in work I just got a Ruger MK III Hunter with a Red Dot (What a deadly pair!) I usually shoot Remington Sub-Sonic or Lapua Sub-Sonic exclusively (hence the call sign)-- They both have put a huge dent in the squirrel/crow/rabbit population in my area.

I am considering another rimfire basically because I want another one for backup--All Guns are tools and this tool's function will basically be the same as my 10/22--Varmint eradication. I do not hunt Coyotes/Fox/Hogs with Rimfire, I save that for my Weatherby Varmint .22-250. However, I do want something I can reach out there with and put my target down (150-200yds)

Weighing all the options (cost, energy downrange, etc.) what is the best caliber for what I have to do? I am leaning toward a Savage .22 WMR to keep it in the family----
  2. neophyte

neophyte New Member

mr.subsonic74: give considerations to the .17hmr. Much flatter, longer reaching, and faster. Will out perform the mag.with a speeding splat.:D

Follow up with your next; experiences