Questions & Thoughts

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mr.subsonic74, Nov 20, 2007.

1. mr.subsonic74

mr.subsonic74 New Member

First, let me say Hello to all--I am a FNG here--and I look forward to learning and contributing. I am a Varmint Hunter died in the wool and baptized in the fire of combat.

I have a very general question: I am considering another rimfire for pest control. My current "Go-To- Boogie" Varmint long-gun is a 10/22 with a Green River Heavy Fluted BBl, Hogue Thumbhole Stock, 2.5lb Trigger Job and a BSA 6-24x40 Mil Dot-- For close in work I just got a Ruger MK III Hunter with a Red Dot (What a deadly pair!) I usually shoot Remington Sub-Sonic or Lapua Sub-Sonic exclusively (hence the call sign)-- They both have put a huge dent in the squirrel/crow/rabbit population in my area.

I am considering another rimfire basically because I want another one for backup--All Guns are tools and this tool's function will basically be the same as my 10/22--Varmint eradication. I do not hunt Coyotes/Fox/Hogs with Rimfire, I save that for my Weatherby Varmint .22-250. However, I do want something I can reach out there with and put my target down (150-200yds)

Weighing all the options (cost, energy downrange, etc.) what is the best caliber for what I have to do? I am leaning toward a Savage .22 WMR to keep it in the family----
  2. neophyte

neophyte New Member

mr.subsonic74: give considerations to the .17hmr. Much flatter, longer reaching, and faster. Will out perform the mag.with a speeding splat.:D

Follow up with your next; experiences