Quick Draw magnet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamierat, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jamierat

Jamierat New Member

2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    As far as I know they will retain their magnetic qualities indefinitely. They also work under the dash of your car/truck.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  3. yetiman

yetiman New Member

that is pretty cool
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

Many years ago I had a magnetic tool rack on my workbench, holding assorted screwdrivers and files. It didn't take me long to realize that the tools themselves quickly became magnetized, and I had so many problems with them I ended up throwing many of them away, along with the rack. For instance, using one of the screwdrivers in a tight space, and having it attach to whatever metal was in there.

So my question is - do these gizmos magnetize the gun, and affect its function?
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Brass, Lead, and powder arnt magnetic. Dont know about the gun itself though unless of course its a Glock. Plastic isnt magnetic either.;):D
  6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

We used to demagnetize screwdrivers by hitting them against wooden
    work table. Now I have a magnetizer/demagnetizer works faster.
    We worked around electric machinery and screwdrivers were always getting
    magnetized.
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

Uh, yeah, thanks. :D

Case in point - working on replacing the inner transmission boot under the floorboard of my '81 Ford pickup today. Three bolts hold the rubber boot frame in place, no problem there. But there's one additional screw, and it's down there. So I took my magnetic parts reacher, rubbed it on the screw, magnetized the screw, and it immediately stuck to the screwdriver, so I could reach it down in there. Problem solved.

So the question stands - has anyone here actually used one of these things, and did it affect the action of the pistol? Surely a magnet strong enough to support a pistol has enough magnetic energy to transfer to other metal components inside the gun - ?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  8. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I will look into it.
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'm no magnet expert (tho in my college days, some friends called me 'the hot chick magnet' :p), but my brain tells me the firearm will become magnetized over time.

Metal rubbing metal will wear. That wearing will in turn get stuck to the firearm and will build up. You may not see shavings, but particulate matter is there. So now you've created an environment that is essentially a rubbing compound. :eek:

You can try to clean it off, but ya can't. They metal bits will have to be pulled off. No amount of solvent is going to disrupt the magnetic field. No number of patches, swabs, etc. is gonna get it all. The best one could hope for is reducing it from a compound to a paste. Still bad juju.

My question is; why would you want to use one? I can see no reason. :confused:
  11. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Google "bed holster". Plenty of options available and most appear to be able to be homemade for even cheaper.
  12. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I think I would have to agree. At first I thought it was kind of a cool idea, but you have raised some very valid points. Seems to me that over time it could effect the operation of the gun, and could atract all kinds of metal stuff that one would not want in their gun.
  13. Jamierat

Jamierat New Member

The magnet has a rubber coating over it
  14. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Not sure if that matters much.

If the field is strong enough to hold the firearm, the rubber ain't gonna get in the way.

My opinion.
  15. Remington 51

Remington 51 New Member

The QD magnet I have used for about a year with an alloy frame Sig has magnetized the slide to the degree that a paper clip will stick to it. The left edge of the slide that is directly held by the magnet is magnetized, the off or right side is not. I keep the auto in a thick leather holster when stuck to the magnet, so there is no direct contact.

The degree of magnetic strength of the slide against the paper clip isn't much, but it is there.

It could be de-magetized easily enough, I would think. Doesn't worry me.