Quick Question

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bigwilly11189, Oct 26, 2004.

1. bigwilly11189

bigwilly11189 New Member

Hi,
    I just got purchased my first handgun, a XD40 4" Service Model and I love it, and I love it too much so I need to buy ammo cheap :D . What ammo does everyone recommend for target shooting and does anyone have any tips for a beginner to handgun shooting. I have been shooting shotguns and rifles for a long time, but this is my first pistol, any info would be appreciated. Oh and I only had One Failure to Feed from one round, and I kept trying it, and it was definitely the shell itself that was the problem and not the gun, it was PMC brand ammo, some cheap stuff. Thanks.

Willy
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Winchester should work just fine.
  3. bigwilly11189

bigwilly11189 New Member

What kind of Winchester do you recommend, don't they have different sub brands??? What grain is a good grain for target? And I guess it doesnt make a difference between FMJ or HP? Thanks. How do you feel about Wolf ammo or PMC ammo?
  4. Remington597

My personal choices are: Both subcategories are available for 9mm and .40SW. My personal preference is the 9mm.

Target practice:
    [​IMG]

Home/personal protection:
    [​IMG]

Wolf ammo is great for the 7.62x39 SKS and AK families, but I have found that it jams alot for pistol ammo.
    PMC is ok, but not as good as Winchester.
    Let us know your personal results.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  5. punchie

punchie Member

I will second the Speer Gold Dots for personal/home protection, accurate and reliable. Only problem I have ever had with PMC is hard primers another 'off brand' you might try is MagTech. I personally would not shoot Wolf out of an enemies gun.
  6. Neil

Neil New Member

3rd the gold Dots. have them in my .45 and .38 spl.

Oh...I can't see your pictures.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  7. bigwilly11189

bigwilly11189 New Member

So what would be the cheapest but best performing/most consistent ammo I should buy? Also, anyone know a great online place to buy cheap ammo...how is Cheaperthandirt.com??? Thanks.

Willy
  8. Glocker

Glocker New Member

9. stash247

stash247 New Member

If you shoot a pistol, you NEED to reload. 9mm can be assembled for a bit less than a nickle a round, excluding brass, or, about $2.50 / 50.
    Look at the Dillon website, if you need ideas on how to spend your money.
    The winchester white box is darned good ammo, but pricey, compared to reloading.
    Hope this helps...Terry
  10. Remington597

I would not recommend using reloaded ammo in your Springfield. It will obliterate the warranty and you are asking for trouble if you do.
    I purchase the Winchester for $14 or less at Walmart for 100 rounds. thats .14 cents a round. Well worth the peace of mind. Most firearms manufactures clearly state that substandard rounds will nullify the warranty., this is especially the case with a premium pistol like the XD40. IMHO.