quick question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Jan 11, 2010.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I noticed in my lyman reloading manual that the O.A.l. was different for different bullets. Some o.a.l. was the same as the specs indicated but some were smaller. Why is that?
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

If i understand your ? correctly it is because bullets have different shapes. For examply a round nose 30 cal is going to have a different OAL than a 30 cal FMJ of the same wt. The round nose will be shorter than the extended tip of the FMJ. I hope I answered the ? correctly and I hope I have understood your question.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

The weight of the bullet in combination with the many different styles and manufacturers of bullets creates quite a matrix of bullet seating depths. What you want to pay attention closely to is the maximum and Minimum OAL. The first page of data with the exploded view of the cartrige explains the maximum length of any given cartrige for that caliber. In each of the individual boxes of data for different bullet weights you will notice another OAL listed in the top of the box which is the "do not seat deeper than" length. With those parameters you can apply the bullet weight you have and stay within the max and min seating depth and you should be in the safe zone. Hope this helps, good luck.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

great answers guys thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!