1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

quick question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rwdeets23, Nov 25, 2011.

1. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 New Member

I have a model 14 A 32 rem. and have a box full of reloads and for a 30 rem. i remember my dad saying they worked fine for both. but not sure about it..and i know its hard to find brass for the 32. just was wondering thanks for any help...:)
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You seem to have typed so fast you left a few words out. You appear to be asking one of two questions.

Can you use 30 Remington ammo in a 32 Remington rifle? No. It might chamber and fire - in fact it probably will - but running that undersize bullet down the barrel is just wasting your time and ammo. Accuracy will be pitiful.

Can you use 30 Remington brass to reload 32 Remington ammo? Yes you can. The only difference is the size of the bullet.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

As Alpo said, you can use the brass from those .30Rem shells to make .32Rem ammo.
    You will just need to expand the neck from .30 cal to .32 with a .32Rem sizing die.
    I would probably recommend annealing the case necks to make the neck-sizing process a little easier, and lengthen your case life too, but with just a 0.013" step up in diameter you can get by without annealing too.

And yes, the .30Rem ammo will chamber and fire in a .32Rem rifle. The only difference is the diameter of the neck & bullet (.308" vs .321"). The shoulder, length, and all other case dimensions are the same.
    Accuracy will be non-existent and I wouldn't recommend it though...I would much rather form the brass by necking them up with a die instead of fireforming them.

If you do a search in this forum for ".32 Remington" or ".30 Remington" you will find a couple of fairly recent threads about the .30 and .32 and where you can find reloading supplies and /or loaded ammo. Here's one of them: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=91680&highlight=.32 remington
  4. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 New Member

thank you for all the info guys, ye i guess my real question was would it be safe to shot because i don't think anyone in my family has ever owned a 30 rem. or a .25 we just have the .32 and the .35 and i don't know anything about reloading ,but i don't think you can use the brass from a .35... so they might be reloaded for a 32...
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, 35 Remington is a whole 'nother case size. Can't use that brass in your gun.
  6. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 New Member

well went out and did some quick shooting didn't set up a bench, but shot a nice 3 shot group at about 50 yards so i guess they were reloaded for the 32... which is great, first day of deer Monday and love this gun thought i was going to use my 12 ga. slugs... Thank you guys for all the info..:D.. i should of payed more attention when my dad talked about the gun, but he passed away a few years ago. and this gun was what he shot his first deer with a long time ago, so it will be nice to take one with it this year.....
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

If you have a micrometer or caliper, measure the bullet diameter of that ammo that you have. It is common to make both .32 and .25 Remington from .30 Rem brass since .30Rem is the easier to find. That may explain the headstamp.

And yup, the .35Rem is a completely different case size.
    The .25, .30, and .32 are all based on the same case which is slightly smaller than the .35.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Or you can just stick a loaded round in the muzzle.

[​IMG]

Notice these 30/06 bullets do not go into the muzzle all the way up to the case mouth. If that had been a 32 caliber rifle, instead of a 30, there would be none of the bullet sticking out.
  9. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 New Member

gave it a try and most of them look to be flush with the mouth of the case while others look not to be going in the barrel as far and stop, be for it comes to the case line...
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have 32 caliber ammo loaded into 30 Rem. brass.
  11. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Welcome to the forum Rw.
  12. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 New Member

___---____----__________------------________--------

that's what i was hoping for, going to shot some today and take the 32 out Monday morning:D
  13. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 New Member

Thank you, they help out a lot, and explained everything really well & quick.....Thank you guys again.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Alpo, bet that top Garand is a shooter..

The one I have was pretty worn when i got it, MW was prolly between 3.2 and 3.8. I used a piloted muzzle facing cutter and cut the muzzle back about 1/4" or so. MW guage is closer to the 2 now. And it shoots fantastic.