1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Quick reloading bench question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 1in9twist, Nov 5, 2011.

1. 1in9twist

1in9twist New Member

How high off the floor is the top of your reloading bench? 36", 38", etc. :)
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Holy crap that sig smiley is awesome... And hes using a LEE press :thumbsup:

My benches are 28" up. One is an old office desk (like starsky and hutch police chief desk) and the other is a plywood table built to match.
  3. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Mine is 42", but I reload standing up or sitting on a high stool...Ive found 42" easier on the back..

Yeah, like JLA said, that smilie is great!!!!
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I sit in a comfy office chair with wheels.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I just moved my loading bench up from 30" to 42" last week. I also got a higher stool so that my upper body is at the same height whether I'm standing or sitting, and I like it much better now. The lower height meant I was really reaching down to operate the handle.

That said, my "cleaning and repairs" table is still at 30", and I still sit in an office chair at that table. Since I'm never reaching below table height, it's quite comfortable for me.
  6. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I use a 30" high desk for my progressive and a 38" high bench for my rifle press single stage and gunsmithing. Office chair with the desk as well!
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Both my progressive and single stage benches have the same dimensions; 8' L x 2' W x 3' H.
    Although I've spent over three and a half decades loading while standing up, I'm thinking more and more of incorporating a stool into the works these days. It might be easier on the bones than just the floor pads.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Mine is in the front bedroom, and space is limited, 29" high, and I use a folding chair, with a coushon.
  9. dbach

dbach Member

42", I think a little lower wouldnt hurt, say 36".
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

My new bench is 36". It works good with either a bar stool or standing.
    My old TV console "portable bench" is about 30" tall and it works good with a regular wheeled office chair.

Either height is perfectly useable to me.
  11. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    I work mostly standing and made mine 43" high above finished floor and added rubber mats to stand on, so I'm at 42 1/2" for a working height. I also do some of the work from a stool with cushion to keep the backside happy. The height will vary depending on how tall you are.

If you will be working from a standing position, measure the distance from the floor to your elbow with your forearm level to the floor and subtract 2" - make sure your shoulders are relaxed. The same formula can be used if you will be seated - no matter the height of the chair.

You can always build a mock up for height if you are unsure. You can also have multiple loading stations with varying work surface heights. I just made mine all the same and haven't had any issues with any of the loading processes.

Good luck.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My bench for my Dillon RL550B is 34 inches while the stool height is 24 inches. I reload sitting on the stool. I use a standard height bench for gunsmithing work (30 inches) and the same stool.

My reloading bench where I progressively reload with my Dillon RL550B sits on top of a rubber mat. But this is not an ordinary rubber mat but an electrostatic mat that is conductive and is electrically tied to ground. I live in the very dry desert and static buildup is a real problem. Having a thousands of volts spark jump from me to the powder canister is probably not a good idea! When I set up my current reloading area when I moved to the high desert I made sure this could not happen. The bench is nothing more than a metal work bench with a wood top from Sears. But it is securely tied to the studs of the wall behind it. It does not move even a fraction of an inch as I operate the press handle while reloading.

I also reload 50 cal (50DTC) but from a different press and bench but the same stool. The bench is 30 inches high and the press is the hugh RCBS AmmoMaster-2. I also reload with this press seated (seven decades requires I do almost everything sitting down!).

LDBennett
  13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

My bench is 42 high, and I stand or usually sit on a high stool which really gets to my back after an hour or so. If ya have a bad back, consider a lower bench and use a good comfortable office chair on wheels.