Quick Remington 870 question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Frosty87, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Frosty87

Frosty87 New Member

I recently got a Remington 870 express shotgun and today was my first time cleaning it. I dissassembled it fine, but I accidentally pressed the trigger and now the hammer can fall up and down in the receiver. I know that the hammer needs to be cocked in order to re-install the bolt group and forend. How do I manually cock the hammer?

Expect more questions in the near future.

Thanks!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

When you say "disassembled", do you mean just took the barrel off, or disassembled?

If all you did was take the barrel off, then you just need to drop the trigger group to cock it. Push the two pin in the receiver out, then pull downward on the trigger guard. The whole thing comes out. Manually cock the hammer, PUT THE SAFETY ON so you don't accidentally do it again, and reinsert the trigger group.
  3. Frosty87

Frosty87 New Member

Thank you! Will I be able to re-assemble as usual once the hammer is cocked?
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Sure will.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

6. Frosty87

Frosty87 New Member

Alright, I got my trigger group back in and the hammer is cocked and the safety is on, but I can not seem to get the forend and bolt assembly back into the receiver. I know I am supposed to press the feed lips in, but the right one will not budge, and when I press the left one in nothing happens. Help?
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Never took the bolt out of one. Can't help you with that one.
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

A lot of times those feed springs (fingers) will get packed full of crud behind them making it darn near impossible to push em back to reassemble the gun. If you were having any misfeeds from the tube onto the carrier I'd bet there's crud behind one of the feed fingers.

I usually give a good blast of carb cleaner, brake cleaner, or gunscrub to flush out any unburned powder or dirt from behind those little buggers. They don't need to move very much, but when they don't it sure can be a PitA!
  9. Frosty87

Frosty87 New Member

EDIT: I got it back together. My dad pushed the feed springs in while I pushed the bolt/forend in.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009