Quick trip to the range

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by todd51, Dec 6, 2012.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

The sun was out and the temperature was not too bad so a couple of us old guys headed down to the range. It has been over three weeks since I was last down and that time I didn't get in any shooting as I was playing host to some new shooters. I wanted to check the game camera which has been up all this time. Well the camera was still working and had 2347 photos on the card.:eek::eek: I took a quick peak and saw one very nice 8 pointer with long tines and wide spread. Hope he is still alive:rolleyes:

I also wanted to see what the new crushed rock that I had ordered looked like after my neighbor down there so graciously offered to spread it for me. Wow, he did a great job and I just got off the phone thanking him.

Bob had stubbed his toe after dark last week returning from his deer stand and fell on his butt carrying his CVA scoped 50cal. inline and wanted to check to make sure he hadn't knocked the scope out of adjustment. So that mean making some smoke. He only needed a few clicks to get it back on for a good 100 yard hit on paper. I apologize for the blurry picture but it seams regardless of how hard I try and even though I know that canon is going to go off I can't keep from jumping when I am standing behind him with the camera.:D:D

I got to try my new Howard Leight electronic ear muffs that someone here recommended. Yea, they work great, Thanks,

I took that little Springfield .22 Model 187-J along to see if it would feed, fire, & eject after I cleaned it up a bit. Well apparently I didn't clean the chamber well enough and it doesn't feed the second round all the way into the chamber and it feels a little rough. So much for a fast and dirty cleanup. Will do it right and try again.

I took the S&W M&P9 Pro Series along for a little plinking. The more I shoot that pistol the more I like it. Well no problem on the 8" steel plates at 50 feet so feeling like I knew what I was doing I tried the 8" steel plates at 50 yards. Huh! Eight shots off hand and only three of them were hits. That is what happens when you lay off the shooting practice.

But it was sure nice to get out and enjoy a nice brisk sunny December afternoon.

Attached Files:

2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Nice pics and a great range you have Todd. Your reports always make me just want to get up and go out as soon as I read them.
  3. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Hi Todd.

Glad to hear you got out to the range. Good thing you went this week, because it's suppose to rain Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Hope Bob didn't hurt him self when he feel on his rump, tell him I said Hi, and hope he is OK.

You mentioning the crushed gravel reminded me; did you ever get your new storage shed installed?

Quit complaining about only hitting the steel plate 3 times out of 8 at 50 yards! Sounds darn good to me Todd.

You will have to post some pics of the8 pointer when you get a chance.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Todd i would have jumped to, surprised someone did not call the fire dept
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I went to the range on Wednesday morning. The weather here was beautiful, being around 70 degrees. I got there early and had it by myself for about an hour. The pretty weather brought a lot of folks out. I packed up and left around 11:00 cause it was getting too crowded.
  6. garydude

garydude Member

Glad you managed too squeeze in yet another trip. The range just gets better everytime I see it.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Darrell that storage shed is still in two large boxes under the car port. That shed is made out of a composite (plastic) material. A lot of the parts "snap" together so I figure trying that in the cold weather is not a good idea. I will just wait till Spring unless we have a warm day that is dry. The site is ready.

Attached Files:

8. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Let me know if you need a hand with it Todd.
    I would be glad to help.
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Was a good day at the range, Todd and for the weather, hard to beat!
    That crush-er-run you put down looks to be just the ticket!
    (or it looks to be crush-er-run)
    I can tell you this, it'll pack nicely! And your TC still up and running and taking picures, wow...have you said it was a Moultry?
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

You have it right Dale. The local supplier calls it "berm dressing" but it is the same thing and you are right it does pack down nicely. You are right again on the Camera, it is a Moultrie. I have it set to take three shots 20 seconds apart and that is why I get so many pictures but it helps in not missing something that comes along. I cut that bunch down to around 350 shots to look closely at but will wind up dumping the whole bunch because there will be a bunch more the next time. I really enjoy looking at the various creatures that visit the feeder. Had lots of deer but they were almost completely night time visits this go around. There were really fat raccoons, opossums, coyotes, rabbits and some crows.

Bob went down late yesterday afternoon figuring he would get in a couple hours in the tree stand. He replenished the feeder and put out a new deer block then went to the stand. He said he screwed up and didn't check the wind and got in the wrong tree. He quit counting when over 12 deer showed up. They all winded him or were aware of his activity when he filled the feeder and most just looked at him and stayed out of bow range. He already has his buck and of course the only ones that came in range and were standing the right way were bucks. Never fails does it. He is wanting to get his grandson down there to take a deer. Hopefully the deer will continue this present pattern of showing up during legal hours and the boy can get a deer. Here is just one picture out of those over 2000 that I got last week. Taken at 4:43 AM darn it, ha.

Attached Files:

11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's usually the way it happens....they'll come to or in the area of a feeder at dark,
    or in the wee hours of the A.M.!
    With a bit of patients and some luck, I hope he can catch a good one in the daylight
    hours.
    That's a real nice 8 point there!!!
    Thanks for shareing the pic as I enjoy seeing them. I havent had the time as of late to get much hunting in or TC setting up. I "hope" to be able to get out in the woods on the extended season coming up.

I did however, manage to get the Horton compound bow sights on (red-dot) and hope to
    at least get out and get some Bow hunting in before season passes me by.