Quietest .22 Round

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Tom Militano, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

What is the quietest .22 round? I'm using CB cap shorts right now in a bolt action rifle. I'm at war with squirrels. I've sent 11 of the no good tree rats to the big tree in the sky today. We're overrun with the no good little monsters. My wife has tried every bird feeder known to man. I even bought two of those "so called" squirrel proof roller feeders, which they don't give away. It took them about ten minutes to figure them out. I live outside the city limits, so shooting isn't a problem. I'm on a mission to rid the world of the little no good, rotten, bird feeder wrecking, aggravating, fur wearing, long tailed, tree rats. They were put on this planet for the sole purpose of raising my blood pressure.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Now you're making me hungry! I really like squirrel.
    I've fired the CB shorts from a bolt action rifle, and that's about as quiet as I've heard.
    Got an air rifle?
  3. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Yup, I have a new RWS 34, but it's not much quieter than a .22 CB cap. The little fur encrusted tree rats just tore the thistle feeder down about ten minutes ago. All squirrels must die!!!
  4. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Tom old buddy, old pal, if you are blowing a gasket and you are, the squirrels are winning. Take a deep breath, now another and another. I have killed, conservative estimate, five thousand of the little guys. Probably closer to eight. We had pecan trees and if you didn't kill squirrels you didn't get pecans, I mean NO pecans. I ain't feeding squirrels $5 per pound pecans. I began with a 5mm Sheridan pump-up pneumatic rifle and graduated to a 5mm Beeman R1 single stroke. The Beeman is the one that I really did the killing with. Any CB is quiet, I like CCI CB longs because they feed through the magazines of my 10-22, Kimber converter and High Standards, of course you have to hand cycle the action. Compared to a 22 long rifle the CBs are nothing but they are dangerous and you need to be careful. Know where your neighbors are and keep shots at a high angle unless you know there is nothing behind your target.
  5. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Tim, I've done in about 250 so far. There's no danger of hitting any neighbors where I'm shooting. I can sit on the front porch, about twenty or thirty feet from the tree with the feeders in it, and they don't even pay any attention to me. They actually sit on a limb and chatter at me, just not real long. It's nothing to see a dozen or more in the front yard. Our front yard is about 450 feet long. We have a huge hawk that has snagged a few out of the yard. He sits in our walnut tree and cools it until one gets to far from a tree to run to. The reason I wanted the quietest round I could get it was so I wouldn't scare them off before I could shoot more of them.
  6. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Hope you are eating all that good meat! They are some good eating man! If they are bothering you that badly take the feeders down till they find a new hope.
  7. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Tried that Lotsdragon for almost three months. They came right back.
  8. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Define CCI CB Longs for me Suwannee.
    Are those the .22 long shot shells?
    Tom what is a .22 CB cap?
    Thanks guys
  9. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Suggest you check the yellow forum (yellowforum.com) will get you there. Some of the newer air rifles are "mouse fart quiet". Can't give you any specifics, because that's not a priority for me, but some folks there should be able to give you some good suggestions. I think the new Crosman Marauder PCP is pretty quiet.
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

your approach is okay... but quite a bit differant from mine, you see it as a mission to kill squirrels... i would see it as an opertunity to blow a squirrel into pieces with a cannon sized gun :D but anyways...

perhaps shooting the same rounds you have, or even larger ones, inside the house, through the open window or door might help quiet them down.
  11. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I know it is rimfire forum but I sure enjoy hunting squirrels with a bow, much quieter than any pellet or cb round. There are some very nice pistol cross bows out there and with a little red dot they are as accurate as any airgun.

I know what you mean about the pecans. We set up a bunch of carnivore traps. The little buggers played heck with my apricots and peaches this year. The traps kept them off the grapes, but the dogs have access to that area so I am sure that helped.
  12. Red84

Red84 New Member

While for some it may not be as fun, I always thought a couple of conibears and some five gallon buckets strategically placed always did the trick. Take the battle to them on all fronts, nothing like little squirrel land mines and .22 sniper fire, lol. But seriously, cut some notches in a few buckets, and stick some small conibears in them, 110 or 220. Stick some bait towards the back, and wait. That way you can get them while you are away too. Just my .02
  13. OBrien

OBrien New Member

For a mass killing of them go get some anti-freeze and pour it over some snacks for them and they don't usually come back. Chemical warfare at its best.
  14. pawn

pawn Active Member

have you considered trapping them with a live catch rig and then shootin em? ya catch more flies with honey :)
  15. Goody

Goody Member

Colibri's, made by Aquila. It will put them to the ground, you usually need a Coup de Grace to finish the job.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=AU1B222337

If you want a little more HP

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0029401214245a.shtml

The warning about for pistols only is a maybe. I have shot both of these in rifles, with only one instance of trouble. I have an older Mauser trainer that is a very tight bore and the bullets would not make it out the end. However in a Marlin 39a or Rossi pump there is no trouble.