Qustion about rebuilding a gun kit

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I ordered a PPS 43 SMG kit and am trying to find a semi-auto receiver to make it legal.

My question is, do I need a license to make this a working gun? I read on a website (ATF, I think) that you don't really need any kind of license to build one, if you are not going to sell it and have it in semi-auto only.

Anyone know about kits or what I'm asking?

PS: I didn't know if I should post this here, since I'm asking a question towards the pros or anyone who knows about my question.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. Mark

Mark New Member

You are dancing with the devil on this one.

Current law states, "once a full auto, always a full auto". (Paraphrased)
    A full auto gun can also be comprised as a collection of parts.

On the other hand, there certainly are M14 parts on M1A receivers that are legal.
    Given the current climate in government, I don't know how to advise you.

Having BATF agents break down my door in the middle of the night, wearing flak vests, masks, and armed to the teeth, doesn't sound like the kind of exitement I want any part of.

I'd sure get some written documentation on this before I even lifted a screwdriver on this one.
    Mark
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

The receiver is what you gotta watch the original reciever is cut to BATF spec so you might have to bend your own reciever or buy a commercial one. The reciever you buy will be regestered as semi auto so their shouldn't be no problem. People make AK-47's all the time and never violate all the laws. As long as you don't make a lively hooh out of building and selling their is no license
  4. dyeager535

dyeager535 New Member

Also pay attention to state law. I recently found out my state doesn't only prohibit short barreled or automatic firearms, but all PARTS to make one. May not be federally illegal, but could be based on state.
  5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  6. dyeager535

dyeager535 New Member

An "F" on that site is an "A+" in my book. :)
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

At least we'll be somewhat prepared when WWIII rolls around.:eek:

Now, would it be alright to make this a somewhat over sized pistol by removing the stock or wielding it into place?
  8. dyeager535

dyeager535 New Member

Well, I've looked at the Krinkov AK kits, and found that you can buy receivers that are not designed to take a stock, so the short barrel rifle prohibition is not applicable.
  9. dyeager535

dyeager535 New Member

10. flopshot

flopshot New Member

once you cut the barrel to sub rifle length, the weapon must not be able to accept a stock. on an AK, the rear trunion is the stock attachment point so it must be made so as not to accept one. this does not change the reciever. some make pistol trunions, but on mine i just cut the tang and welded up the back. pretty cool build and fun to shoot.
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

So a gun that was once a rifle or sub-gun doesn't need a rear trunnion to operate?

Would I be able to remove the folding stock, do I just remove the trunnion and patch the hole (if it has one) and it be all right?
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

You can take the stock of a rifle and be alright but if you were to add a buttstock or vertical foregrip to a gun regestered as a pistol with a barrel less than 16 inches it is illegal
  13. flopshot

flopshot New Member

you need to define the terms "rifle" and "pistol"
    a pistol has a maximum length for the barrel. at that length you cannot have or make available the means to attach a buttstock. it is then a short barrel rifle. put a foregrip on a pistol with no buttstock and it's an AOW
    "any other weapon" neither one is something you want to have without the paperwork. as far as the rear trunion, on an AK it's only job is to hold the recoil spring, dust cover, and limit the rearward travel of the bolt carrier. you can buy an fabricated trunion, modify an existing one, or use one from an underfolder. i modified mine to enclose the rear of the reciever by cutting off the stock tang and welding in place a small chunk of 1/4" stock.
  14. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

The PPS 43 has an odd Overfolding stock, That's why I'm asking if keeping the Trunnion attached, but plugging and wielding the spot where the stock attaches to will work?

A picture of a PPS-43.

Also, anyone know where I can buy a semi-auto receiver?
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  15. flopshot

flopshot New Member

now i see where you're going with this. i'm no legal expert but, since when measuring something like a shotgun, the barrell has to be no less than 18" and maintain and overall length of no less than 26" i think. when equipped with a folding stock, the overall length is measured with the stock extended so i would guess removing it would reduce the overall length to that which is less than legal. now,( and i'm no longer using a shotgun as an example), if you were to shorten the barrell to pistol length then you could remove the folder and weld up the trunion.
    i don't recall the leagal maximum length for a pistol but don't think in terms of the Thomson Center weapons. i believe they are an exception or don't qualify the same because of the action. you could submit your question to the ATF tech division and obtain a letter for your records.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007