R. Adams Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

mnstuart
    (1/2/03 1:22:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All R. Adams Damascus Barrel Shotgun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've inherited a double barrel double hammer shotgun which -- as near as I can tell from the proof mark -- is from the late 1800s.

The words R. Adams are inscribed on the highly etched silver overlay on the stock. There is a fine beavertail at the end of the receiver. Anyone know where I can find out more about this shotgun and determining its value? Thanks.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/2/03 5:55:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: R. Adams Damascus Barrel Shotgun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi mnstuart....welcome to TFF.

Well, I've let my fingers do the walking thru the internet, and the only references to an R.Adams Shotgun I can find are here:

www.ukgundealer.com/guideshotgunsa.htm

www.gundealer.net/collector/queries.htm

I believe the R. Adams on your shotgun was probably Robert Adams, a well known English gunmaker and inventor in the mid-1800s. Here's some info on him (if not your shotgun):

www.brucepub.com/guncoll/...i3ar10.htm

I have no idea of your shotgun's dollar value, but I suspect that it does have some.

Also, I wouldn't suggest that you shoot it. These old guns were made for blackpowder shells only.

mnstuart
    (1/4/03 5:09:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks for the info.
    Thank you for responding.