R. Schroeder Halle- 4 barrel rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SPEEZACK, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SPEEZACK

SPEEZACK New Member

Recently, a friend of mine ask me about a rifle she inherited from her Dad. She is not interested in selling this rifle but is more interested in its history. She thinks her Dad brought it back from WWII in 1945. I have never seen anything like this and cannot find a single shred of information on the weapon. The only markings are the 'serial' number on the butt plate and the name "R. Schroeder Halle" on the top of the barrel at the breach. It has 4 barrels; one apparent shotgun, smooth bore about .410; two side by side rifled barrels approx. .30 maybe a bit larger; and a small rifled barrel on top around .22. I have not miked these barrels, only observed and approximated the caliber. I am including several pictures and would very much like any information you might have on this interesting piece. Other than being a bit dirty (60+ years in a leather case) it is in remarkable shape and has nice engraving all over. Information is greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. ksummer70

ksummer70 New Member

thats cool,never seen anything like
  3. SPEEZACK

SPEEZACK New Member

I have heard nothing on this question??? Is this gun that unusual?? I can't believe that this forum with all you experts cannot identify this weapon? Come on guys... and gals... I know somebody, somewhere has a clue... I cannot find anything on this gun, not in books, on the web or any gun shop I have been too... they all just look at it and shake their heads... the only clue I have is that it was special made for some wealthy family in Europe in the late 1800's or early 1900's... so............ what is your take?? I greatly appreciate any input on this piece.
  4. BPMike

BPMike New Member

That's a nice looking Vierling (German 4 bbl combination gun). I have not heard of that maker but perhaps these people,...http://hoferwaffen.com/hofer_52.php?lang=en. , could point you in a direction. They still make them.

BPMike
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It's what is known as a German "vierling" made or sold by an R. Schroeder in Halle, but there are at least three places named Halle, all in north Germany. The 3-barrel "drilling" is more common, but both types were brought back by U.S. servicemen. Most are fine examples of "Old World" craftsmanship, made by individuals rather than a large firm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_gun
  6. PetahW

PetahW New Member

The chamberings MIGHT be able to be found from the markings on the bottom of the various barrels - only visible after dismounting them from the action.

What you have is called a Vierling, aka a four-barreled (different barrels) gun, usually made in either Germany or Austria on a one-at-a-time, lengthy, costly, complicated process by small, virtually unknown (or not widely-known) gunmakers.
    Some were made by the big players of the era, and are easily identified as such.

On most vierlings with side-by-side rifle barrels, the superposed barrels are usually both smooth for shot, but one of yours has the .22 cal barrel as the fourth - interestingly different.

Since it's a hammer gun, I would put it in the late 19th Century, to the early 1900's - the first .410's being made in about the 1870's, in Europe.

Pics of the various markings would help, but the SxS rifle chambers (if they are the same) are most likely for an obsolete BP round (unobtainium), and the .22 not for modern ammo.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/identify.html

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  7. SPEEZACK

SPEEZACK New Member

I am extremely happy with the response on this gun. Thank you so much for the info... this gives me a starting point to a much bothersome question. I still have no idea what the actual value of this gun may be... I will eventually find this out but for now.... just following through with this info is great. Thanks again.
  8. PetahW

PetahW New Member

The best place to determine the value is to contact one of the authors of combination gun articles in THE DOUBLE GUN JOURNAL - as there have been several series of articles on European combi's in the magazine over the last 15 years.

In any event, the value is certainly high enough to make getting a subscription, or at least reading some back issues, well worth the while.

I CAN tell you, that your gun's design, workmanship, and overall condition would make it a VERY desireable one to a European or combi gun collector - many of which assemble annually at the Vintage Gun Shoot in upper NY State, every late Summer.