RABBITS

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by guns4life, Jan 3, 2010.

1. guns4life

guns4life New Member

First rabbit hunt of the winter today (deer season over down here yesterday). S0 we dont have to worry about any body else hunting on the property. Saw seven wascally wabbits killed 3 and got two quail also. Birds were delicious in a pan of gravy with biscuits but the one rabbit that we had was tough as leather but still tasted good .gonna soak the other 2 for a while in salt water may try them this weekend . Guns4LIFE
  2. tstamm2013

tstamm2013 New Member

I hunt rabbits very frequently in pa and if you boil the rabbits then cook them the way you normilly do then they will be a lot more tender for you.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    With all the dogs running around in the woods these days, in this part of the country, about the only way to get a rabbit is to spot light them at night. Haven't had a rabbit in the pot in years. Would love to be able to get me a few.
  4. 38 special

38 special New Member

I used to hunt rabbits alot. Nowadays ther just arn't that many places (around here) to hunt them. Most farmers (around here) have cut everything down leaving no hedgerows or any place for cover. They plant and cut right to the edge of the road. Places that used to be great are now subdivisions with monolithic, monotone, grass of course with no weeds or brush for rabbits to hide in. Evey time a new house goes up it ruins another 20+ acres of hunting. Small game hunting here in southeast Pa. is pretty much a memory of the past. Lancaster county is a good example of how bad it can get. This time of year you can really get the picture as far as you can see- nothing but subdivisions and "farms" with absolutely no cover for a rabbit,a possum,anything. The State every year lets some pen raised pheasants loose in the few acres of state land that is left. There are a few little "islands" of wooded land or good small game cover and they are surrounded by Oceans of subdivisions and treeless,brushless barren,farm fields. This used to be THE BEST pheasant hunting maybe in the world. Now its just a really sad,pathetic suburban/urban eyesore.
    I just wanted to get this rant out.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's about the way it is in this area as well.
    In the past 5yrs I can count on both hands how many rabbits Ive seen out and about, and I do alot of hunting.
    This past summer/spring we got out alot and did the 4 wheelein thing on the weekends all night long at times. And in this one area/fields, we saw one baby rabbit after another, then it was like the just dissapeared. And one thing too, around here you used to see them on the roads here hit/ran over. I havent seen one on the road hit that I can remember in seems like ages.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Come on down under

we got gajillions of the buggers

mate ran three over on his way to work

i donged one with a shanghai ( sling shot) in the back yard a week ago

bugger will be back as i use macadamia nuts as ammo and where i'm stayin has a great vege patch
    they are everywhere so come on down!!

cheers

jack