Rail Gun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

So I have been looking into rail guns and how they work... in theory any way. Has any one on here ever experimented with making one? Or better yet has any one ever used such a mythical sic-fi contraption?

I have the urge to start tinkering with one... My only concern is that I'd be "manufacturing" a "firearm" ; well technically a firearm uses a propellent fuel or compressed air as a means to shoot a projectile... so would I really be making a "firearm"?

any way... its time to start small scale... like bb / pellet gun scale and work from there...

Darn A.D.D. see what you started!

well if its not legal, please, some one let me know... I don't want to break the law here. And if I need an F.F.L. to be able to build this... would any of you out there (with one) want to venture into this journey with me? I have Ideas... just need the legality.
    well have fun chewing on that one..
    Shawn
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

youve been playing too much Metal Gear Solid.
  3. skullfr

skullfr New Member

make a punkin chunker.They fire really well and legal
  4. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I'm 39, Metal gear solid is well AFTER my time... I like physics...I just didn't know if it was possible to make such a contraption (relatively cheep and effective) even if all I can do is shoot B.B.'s . I mean come on... the military spent our tax dollars developing one, and it will shoot 26 miles... I just want 100 yards... can I make one? And don't tempt me on the pumpkin chunkin' thing... I already made a spud launcher capable of 200 yards back in the day.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

A hobby cannon made of a section of drillpipe, that just so happens to have a golf ball sized hole in it is quite fun shooting golfballs under a quarter pound of BP.

And come on, Nobodys too old for MGS. ;)
  6. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

You could make one but it wouldnt be anywhere near cheap by the time you put enough transformers and caps together no way portable. Wouldnt say impossible but not feasible just the power to run it would be just as dangerous as the projectile thats just my opinion.
  7. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

As far as legal I dont thing the BATFE has any regs that cover such a weapon but its usually never a good thing to have a law named after you:D
  8. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Come on... DOW Jones... DOW Chemical... (YES I'm related... NO I don't get money from them; related to the Farmer of the brothers :bleh: ) DOW anti-electromagnetic gun law... Your right.. it doesn't sound too good!

Im just curious as to how loud they are compared to regular "metallic cartridge" guns.
  9. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

check out powerlabs.org they have a railgun even show a couple videos I think the dump of the electricity makes it pretty loud
  10. skullfr

skullfr New Member

Hey Im 57 and still play video games.I play online game called Aces High II.I got almost 400 bucks in controllers.I had to attach a shoe to the rudder pedal to operate with one leg.My computer was custom built to play the game.

Attached Files:

11. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Skullfr... if you imagine all that electronic stuff you have there, and visualize a micro mill, micro lathe, wan'a be gun shop / reloading shop, and "imagination station"... you have my work shop... I gave up on the gaming when my boy started kicking my butt at them when he was 8... now he is 15... Now.. when he invents something and produces it.. Ill give that up too.

Shorter260513 as for that web site... I want my work shop to be like that!
  12. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

I did a small ammount of research on these, probably enough to get into trouble, but.... These use a tremendous ammount of electricity to fire a projectile, but the energy that the projectile produces is beyond anything imaginable with conventional weapons. The cratering effect the projectiles have is much like that of a meteorite, picture the impact crater in Arizona, but on a smaller scale. From what I can understand of the procedure, the projectile has to floats upon an electronic flux field, with no part of it phisically touching anything. To then launch the projectile it must still float on the flux field and then be transported forward by a series of discharge capacitors, the speed being determined by the length of the capacitor field and the the speed of which the capacitors discharge their energy. Impact velocities are measured in yards per second up to miles per second. I'm not a scientist, and don't play one on TV, so if anyone has anything to add or correct feel free to do so.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  13. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

First you have to have a series of magnets that will allow the "bullet" to float. Then you have to be able to change the polarity of the magnets so that one pushes, one pulls, and changes polarity as the "bullet" passes through the fields....very fast.

I don't know about you but my PC just could not handle that. Let alone the power needed to generate any sort of speed. That's why they're being planned for ships, which have the very large generation facilites on board, as opposed to being mounted on an airframe.
  14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I think someone has watched Eraser one to many times.
  15. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I graduated with a degree in Engineering Physics in the 90's and a guy that graduated the year before me built a small scale version that was a little different than what you are thinking about. First, his "rail" was a solid cylinder with all the electronics and his projectiles were more like a thick washer that slid over his rail. I don't know how expensive it was, but he was a college student so I can't imagine it was crazy expensive.

It was basically just a table top version that pointed straight up. His best "projectile" would only go about three feet up. Unless he cooled it that is... if he froze it in liquid nitrogen first it would bounce off the ceiling. (He almost shot a light out the first time he tried it).