Rail Gun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Aug 7, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

From what i gather about them the magnets have to be supe strong and the projectile has to be non magnetic.. They consume enormous amounts of energy. But i did read last year or the year before that some russian physics student built a shoulder fired one. Might google it.
  2. Brian Albin

Brian Albin New Member

If I understand correctly, there are two varieties of Rail Gun. One uses nonferrous projectiles and the other uses iron so they can be magnetically driven.
    I saw the first type demonstrated on a science TV show. Unfortunately the fool who made it did not take the trouble to make a bullet. He had an aluminum nut he pulled out of the hardware drawer and shot that at his chronograph. He got no reading and said that showed that the velocity was so high it exceeded the capacity of his chronograph. I thought it more likely that with the aerodynamics of a thrown car tire, the nut simply went winging off toward the side wall of his work shop and missed the detector screens entirely.
    This aluminum bullet type does not use magnets. It somehow drove the bullet with two loop currents of electricity.

The iron bullet variety needs a battery of electromagnets placed along the rail. These need their polarity changed as the bullet passes along so that the magnets in front of the bullet are pulling it, and those behind are pushing. Perhaps the bullet would need to be a permanent magnet for the push to work. Getting the timing right as the bullet accelerates would seem to be the tricky bit. But I do not think a computer program would need to be written to control it, as it does not seem to me that you need to get it right on the first try. You could set them to pulse at some predetermined guess of a pulse rate, and then adjust it until you get a shot.
    Alternatively, a more elegant solution is to have detectors along the rail detecting the presence of the bullet and triggering the change of polarity.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i always thought the timmins tesla one was best

a ferrite magnet inside a sipplery tube that was wound round by a wire ( electromagnet but different polarity of the ferrite cores base) the electricity goes up the wire fast and creates a magnetic field as it goes and this repels the ferrite core in the "slippery tube" and out it goes , they got 800 yards with a 5 lb core but it wasn't near good enough when a then 5 lb'er had a range of 8 miles

if i remember he tried to increase speed but was limited by the speed of electricity along the wire minus the effect of it being wound , and if wound too far apart it did not generate enough momentum in the core ... so say a 4" bore yeah but 800 yards is ok too

its in one of the Tesla books
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

now as electricity "speed" aint constant we gotta work it out with some assumptions

2mm wire wrapped

100 amp's of juice to "give it some herbs" ( tool time "MORE POWER!!!) ;)

Attached Files:

5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

so roughly if tight wound we get 841 meters per second

then divide that by 12.2

or about 69 Meters per second or 230 fps
  6. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Usually rail guns are HUGE- the US NAVY will has test fired one ar Dahlgren Va weapons depot. Some of the tech is described. If I read the article right the power needed to fire the bloody thing will be a on board nuke reactor. I think I remember the "slug" will be an 8" in dia titanium metal. The slug will travel at least 8000mph though Dalgren is trying to boost the speet up higher. Rate of fire is near a conventional naval cannon. ThE NAVY intends to deploy them on nuke powered vessels by 2015. Your problem is POWER even for a BB and of course earth gravity.

IMO PRC lunar bases(in ten to fifteen years) will have some form of rail guns to take out cities down the earth gravity well. IMO we are financing the PRC's military and space prgrams with the interest we are paying them on the 2 trillion dollars in our t-bills that they hold. Old gunnersmate
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  7. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Interresting- I wonder if Dahlgren is using a liq nitrogen to cool their 8 incher of tungsten.
  8. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Jack has anybody got anything that will go in increment of C velocity? I guess the Univ of Alaska at fairbanks has yet to figure out a magnetic "bottle" to hold a fusion reaction in AND the ability to switch the bottle " on and off"
  9. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Kinda on the subject, look at the "pumpkin chunkin" guns that were on tv last year for ideas with compressed air ect. Neat stuff and since they fired vegetables they couldn't be called guns, could they?
    http://www.punkinchunkin.com/
  10. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

So if I'm shooting vegetables... its not a gun? So... freeze a pea... .308" and load it like a 30-06... what do you think? NO... sounded good though... that would be one for CSI to figure out.
  11. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Toys toys, gotta love this forum. Always sumpin new!
  12. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

What? Where else can you get help and insight for your projects? Real projects are only half the fun.. Brain storming and creative thinking fills in the rest.:crazy: I appreciate everyones input. Most of the time they help me out in a pinch, the other times they help with a laugh. I must say we have the best bunch of gun enthusiast on this site. :dancingdots:
    Thank you every one, for everything,
    Shawn Dow.
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Google "electric cannon" and see what is involved. Maybe a scaled down version could be built, but concealed carry would require a rather large holster.

Jim
  14. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

ROFLMAO!!!