Rail Gun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Aug 7, 2012.

1. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Usually rail guns are HUGE- the US NAVY will has test fired one ar Dahlgren Va weapons depot. Some of the tech is described. If I read the article right the power needed to fire the bloody thing will be a on board nuke reactor. I think I remember the "slug" will be an 8" in dia titanium metal. The slug will travel at least 8000mph though Dalgren is trying to boost the speet up higher. Rate of fire is near a conventional naval cannon. ThE NAVY intends to deploy them on nuke powered vessels by 2015. Your problem is POWER even for a BB and of course earth gravity.

IMO PRC lunar bases(in ten to fifteen years) will have some form of rail guns to take out cities down the earth gravity well. IMO we are financing the PRC's military and space prgrams with the interest we are paying them on the 2 trillion dollars in our t-bills that they hold. Old gunnersmate
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Interresting- I wonder if Dahlgren is using a liq nitrogen to cool their 8 incher of tungsten.
  3. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Jack has anybody got anything that will go in increment of C velocity? I guess the Univ of Alaska at fairbanks has yet to figure out a magnetic "bottle" to hold a fusion reaction in AND the ability to switch the bottle " on and off"
  4. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Kinda on the subject, look at the "pumpkin chunkin" guns that were on tv last year for ideas with compressed air ect. Neat stuff and since they fired vegetables they couldn't be called guns, could they?
    http://www.punkinchunkin.com/
  5. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

So if I'm shooting vegetables... its not a gun? So... freeze a pea... .308" and load it like a 30-06... what do you think? NO... sounded good though... that would be one for CSI to figure out.
  6. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Toys toys, gotta love this forum. Always sumpin new!
  7. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

What? Where else can you get help and insight for your projects? Real projects are only half the fun.. Brain storming and creative thinking fills in the rest.:crazy: I appreciate everyones input. Most of the time they help me out in a pinch, the other times they help with a laugh. I must say we have the best bunch of gun enthusiast on this site. :dancingdots:
    Thank you every one, for everything,
    Shawn Dow.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Google "electric cannon" and see what is involved. Maybe a scaled down version could be built, but concealed carry would require a rather large holster.

Jim
  9. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

ROFLMAO!!!