Rainier Plated Handgun Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DWARREN123, Apr 1, 2008.

1. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Since these are plated and not jacketed would they not expand more and have less of a over pentration problem than copper jacketed rounds? Inquiring minds would like to know.
    I have started reloading 165gr plated bullets in 40 S&W to about 1100 FPS. My handguns like this weight bullet and they seem at least self defense accurate.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Basically, they will act like regular lead bullets. The copper coating is mainly there so they can be used on indoor ranges that prohibit the use of regular lead bullets. An added plus is that you'll have a bit less barrel leading from the plated bullets...but if you push em too hard, you can still have buildup. You should be fine at 1100fps...I ran quite a few plated SWCs out of my 357 at 1300fps with very little leading trouble.

I don't know if I would consider using a cast lead bullet for self-defense loads given the choices in jacketed hollow points today. But for hunting/plinking/practice I think it's a great way to keep the cost down. Just my opinion...
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

If you are HP to JHP then there would be a lot of variables that my brain can't sort out. Rainier seems to be saying so but I would think speed, depth of the HP, width of the HP, etc. The easiests way to tell is load some of each up and get the old wet phone books out and compare. Then let us all know as well.