Rainier with 45 colt?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Easyshooter, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

I feel like this is a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway. I want to load a 200 grain round nose rainier bullet in a 45 colt but can't find load data for it. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this? I would be loading it relatively light and use it for plinking with my 6.5" judge. The rainier manuals list load data only for the 45 acp. I want to buy this bullet in bulk and use it for acp and colt loads. Has anyone loaded rainier bullets in 45 colt and if so what powder did you use. Right now I have bluedot and unique.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Rainier says to use lead data with their bullets, as they are plated, not jacketed, and won't stand the speed that jacketed loads are usually pushed to.

With that in mind, find a load for 45 Colt using a 200 grain lead bullet, and use that. It works fine.

As an aside, 8.0 of Unique works real good with a 200 grain lead SWC, so it should also work fine with a Rainier 200 grain round nose.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the old saw, "There's no such thing as a stupid question", but I do believe it is better to ask a stupid question than to hurt yourself.

Keep on asking. Anything you wanna know, and we'll take a shot at answering.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never loaded any Rainier bullets in .45 Colt, but I have loaded 200 grain bullets from Berry's Bullets. I used the data from Hornady #7 for 200 grain cast bullets and I used AccurateArms #5 powder. Hornady #7 also has loads using Unique for the 200 grain bullet. I do not know how they shot because I traded off my SA .45 before I got to try them out.

The Lyman #49 manual has several loads using a 200 grain cast bullet, also. I have read that it is OK to use jacketed information for plated bullets. I know that on Berry's web site they say not to exceed the mid-range loads for jacketed bullets of the same weight.
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

Alpo's suggestion of 8 grains of Unique should drive that 200 grain bullet 900+ feet per second. Your next issue might be that I don't think that bullet has a crimp grove which is really no biggie if you lighten up a bit on your bullet seater/crimp die so as not to bulge or wrinkle your cases. Your 45 Colt seater/crimp die will somewhat make its own crimp grove in those soft bullets if you don't over do it.

Ron
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Last time I looked their bullets were different for the 45acp and 45 cold loads. At midway they have 3 different sizes in 45 cal bullets. .451", .452" and .458"
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

458 is for 45 caliber rifles - 45/70, 458 Win Mag, 460 Weatherby, like that. Not pistols.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Agree with alpo. 8 gr. unique will do it quite nicely.
  9. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

Thanks for the responces! I'm going to a gun show this weekend and hope to find some reloading supplies there.