Randall Knife: ID, and date

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by stash247, May 16, 2005.

1. stash247

stash247 New Member

All you all are smarter than me, of this, there is no doubt, so, help me with this if you can.
    I inherited a randall knife, like the one in the E-bay offering # 6532052026, but, the handle looks like the one on the knife on# 7156063831. The sheith is rough back, also like the one in 7156063831, without any provision for a stone.
    5" blade, +/-, 9 1/2 " OAL, leather handle, Brass pommel, soldered,(apparently) to blade, and an aluminum butt, retained by an acorn nut
    Retention strap, on the sheath, is a diagonal affair, like the second e-bay example.
    I expect it to be in the 50's, or, at latest. early '60's, due to provenance, but would welcome accurate I. D., and any knowledgeable appraisal of worth. Thanks, Terry
    Last edited: May 19, 2005
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Is it a Russell or a Randall? The blade should be stamped with the Randall marque, is one of his.

Bo would put just about any type handle on that you ordered. His knives of the 50s and 60 were pretty much "order it and we'll build it." That's how I got mine.

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2005
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

Pops, My head must have been in a very dark, moist place, when I made the first post, to overlook that error; It is a Randall, and so marked, on the blade. Obviously a carbon steel blade, from the usual staining, out of use.
    Thanks for letting me know of my oversight; post has been edited.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The blade shape shown in # 6532052026 is the Mode 7: "Fisherman-Hunter." They came in 4 1/2 and 5 inch blades of 3/16" stock. That one went for $435, so that is what that one was worth to the buyer. :D

Randalls bring very large prices, since Bo stopped making them himself. Of course, Bo didn't make every knife which they shipped, but one could always imagine he made YOURS. :D

The "Fisherman" first appeared in Bo's catalogue in 1944, as a smaller version of the "Hunter." It was priced at $17.50 and even then came with a sheath including a pocket for the hone. This makes me believe your sheath might be a replacement. This is the knife Bo himself carried the rest of his life when fishing.

Enjoy your knife. They are made to last several lifetimes.

Pops
  5. swagger

swagger New Member

I have five Randall knives and I have never used them (on display under glass). The problem is, I don't know what models they are and can't figure out how to tell. I've gone to the Randall site but I'm still confused. Can anyone help? Also, I'm not collecting anymore and want to sell them.
  6. gwpercle

gwpercle New Member

Order a catalog from Randall Made Knives or post photo's...I can I.D. them if I can see them. ( I have a catalog).
    Gary