Random Ejection

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by CampingJosh, Feb 2, 2010.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've only spent significant time with a few autoloading guns, so this may be something pretty common, but it's something I've never encountered before.

I have a Kel Tec P3AT that feeds, shoots, and ejects flawlessly. But when it ejects the empty casings, it's anyone's guess where it's going to go. It will eject any direction (except back left) and any distance from 3 to 15 feet. My other three autoloaders would consistently toss the casings into a five-gallon bucket.

Is this normal (or at least not uncommon)?
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

My .22 does that, I just figured it was because the brass is light weight (?). I always get those in my glasses, in my hair, down my shirt, up my sleeve...while they're still very hot, of course.
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I'm a janitor, not a gunsmith, but it sounds like there is some 'play' in the mechanics that affects the 'timing' of the ejection action. If the hands are held in the same firing position and the same ammo used, a level of consistancy should be the norm.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

many times the denoted direction of ejection (heh sound like a medical term) lies in the angle of the ejector or were the ejector is in relation to the ejection port. With those short stroke blow back guns its often time hard to get the brass to go in any one direction. The Walther P22 is know to do the same thing. Some claim that if you angle the ejector upwards the brass will tend to eject up and more at a 45 degree instead of strait up. Never tried it with a kel tec. More often it depends on where the ejector is rather than its angle.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My 1911 throws them in every which direction while my Ruger P94 is pretty consistent to my right rear.
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

The P3AT does that... There's no nice pile of brass to collect after a range session with mine. Instead I walk around the yard like a moron looking for shininess to pick up. :)
  7. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I've had a variety of experiences as well. Some will throw every casing into a bucket while others will send them all over the zip code. Depends on the way the mechanics of it work and the power / consistency of the ammunition.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

OK, thanks everybody.

PC, you hit the nail on the head. I've been searching all over the yard for the brass, and I was wondering if there was an quick way to make this simpler. I'll just try shooting from on a hard surface.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Someone once made a brass catcher that fitted on the wrist of the shooting hand, not on the gun. I haven't seen one for a while, but suppose it could be made. Some shooters, where possible, will spread a tarp to catch the brass or rig a stop of plastic or screen wire.

I am editing to add this:

Another post on this forum gave me cause to think about the issue of "limp wristing" or at least inconsistency in holding the gun. That can very definitely affect ejecton, not only how far the empties go but in which direction. If the hold is different each time, which may be the case with a high recoiling gun, or if flinching is involved, that too can affect ejection.

Another factor enters in, and that is if the gun is rested. Several factors including point of impact can be affected if shooting from a rest and letting the gun butt rest on the bench or letting the gun barrel rest on sandbags.

Jim
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Jim, you could very well be right. The Keltec is difficult to get a good grip on and that could affect ejection. Because it's difficult to control muzzle flip with only a couple of fingers on the grip that would logically be a possible cause. :)
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Typically my range time involves shooting a variety of loads for all my handguns but with the semi autos you would think it affects the ejection by being closer or further depending on load but apparently that isn't always the case. With my P94 it seems to be consistent as the pistol is most accurate with 155gr bullets so that is what I load. With the 1911 I may load 185 gr to 230 gr with different levels of loads and hence pressure. I sure if I examined (or at least someone qualified) the physics involved it might explain the results.

The only other centerfire SA I own is a Makarov and I don't save the brass as I shoot steelcase ammo in it so never noticed.
  12. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

My XD is pretty consistant in its ejection.. but my Glock 26 is somewhat unpredictable.. Its unpredictable in the fact that you never know which of the 2 places its going to throw a casing... right rear, or directly to the rear over your head. The last time I went shooting I was wearing a hoodie... when I got home I had about 5 casings inside my hood..:rolleyes: Other Glocks that Ive shot are consistant though... right rear.
  13. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member