Range day for charles daly

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/15/02 6:16:19 pm)
    Reply Range day for charles daly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Took the Daly out to the range and put 250 rds through it. Shot pretty good out to 25 yrds. Was mainly trying to test reliability today, so wasn't going slow over sandbags for accuracy. Fed and ejected everything put through it, including some Speer Lawman 200gr jhp's. Which surprised me, they seem to be shorter in oal, and have a huge hollow cavity. Only problem was with the factory mag, when loaded with 8 rds, it ftf's the last round everytime, the follower pops up, throws the cartridge out of the mag and causes the slide release to lock. Leaving the buddit just kinda sitting there in the chamber area. The McCormick mags worked every time. So I'll just go and buy another extra McCormick or two. I'll post pics as soon as I can find the target again, it's lost in this bedroom somewhere. Only been in here a couple hours.
    Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games---Incubus

Edited by: Alphamale at: 3/15/02 6:20:11 pm

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (3/19/02 4:28:00 pm)
    Reply Re: Range day for charles daly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The factory mags that come with these pistols are crap. Change the mags and the problem is solved.
    BTW, Alpha , how did it group ????????

bg
    (3/20/02 2:09:55 am)
    I'm sure glad that your auto proved good.I had posted something I'd read in GUN TESTS.It didn't give the model they
    tested a very good review.It's all about the gun I guess.I think
    you said this was a foundation for a custom.Sounds like it panned out for you,that's good news.bg

ldkight
    (4/16/02 5:18:03 pm)
    I've had my Daly for 2yrs. now and wouldn't you know it the only problem I have had(since DAY 1) is the factory mags... for me as well, Chip McCormick saved the day... My Auto hit easily and accurately out to 100 yds, and give me consistent groups of 1.25" at 25 yds with Speer Gold Dot +P 200 Gr JHP for a reliable, accurate, and inexpensive .45 acp go ahead and buy the Charles Daly, but be sure to Buy Chip McCormick Power-Mags with it....

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/16/02 6:16:56 pm)
    Welcome to TFF ldkight

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/17/02 8:20:30 am)
    Hi Idknight.....welcome to TFF. Always nice to see some more 1911Nuts here.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (4/17/02 2:48:34 pm)
    Idknight, welcome to the forum. The Charles Daly 1911 is a good shooter. Your groups are very good with this pistol. Mine are usually just over 2" with the Daly pistols I've test fired. Have you done anything to this one or is it stock ?

Cloudbreak
    (4/20/02 6:33:16 pm)
    Why are the factory mags so bad? Seems wierd that someone would make a nice gun with crap mags. How much do the better McCormick mags you guys got cost?
    Marauder Shreddin

Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/20/02 7:44:05 pm)
    Why are the factory mags so bad? I dunno, feed lip problems, spring problems.

the mccormick mags were like 8 or 10 bucks, don't remember offhand. wilson mags, which everyone swears by are like 20 I believe.
    Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games---Incubus

Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/20/02 7:44:07 pm)
    Why are the factory mags so bad? I dunno, feed lip problems, spring problems.

the mccormick mags were like 8 or 10 bucks, don't remember offhand. wilson mags, which everyone swears by are like 20 I believe.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/21/02 8:10:43 am)
    Well, I haven't had any problems with mags since I started shooting 1911s over 40 years ago. The only factory mags I have are Colt's....all the rest (about 30 or so) are GI.....bought new, GI surplus, back when you could get them for 4 or 5 bucks apiece.

However, every 1911 I have, I've angled and polished the feedramp.....perhaps that helps.

Anyway, Alpha.....glad to hear that Daly is working out for you.