Range Day Ruger 345 and S&W22S

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by omegapd, Jul 31, 2006.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

It had been awhile since I actually had a full range day, so I headed out to our City Range today to have a little fun.

I can tell you this, it was hot. The range has no shade at all but some cloud cover came in to bring the temps down to only about 100 degrees... :cool:

Today I brought my latest acquisition, the Ruger P345. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago after looking at it for about a year. I fired about 80 rounds through it, both double action and single action, and it did not dissapoint. The double action trigger is typical Ruger auto- HEAVY!!! I read where it has a 22# hammer spring. It's not unmanageable, though, and breaks crisp. The single action is probably around 5# which is what I prefer, even on my 1911s. I might buy the 19# hammer spring from Wolff and tone down that D/A but not sure yet. I don't normally like to fool with springs on a possible carry gun. I've put about 105 rounds through it so far without a hitch. I've found out that it helps to wipe off the feed ramp occasionally because near the end of the session the slide was slowing down a bit chambering a round. Did that and it performed perfectly afterwards.

I also brought my S&W 22S and tried to see how well it groups using a semi-rest (my toolbox on the truck). It also shoots very accurate but a touch high and to the left. One of these days I'll adjust the sights but it was getting too warm today and I just wanted to shoot instead of fiddle with them. :D

Here are the best groups of the day:

[​IMG]

The Rugers came from 10 yards out with a two hand hold. 9 rounds. You can see the first double action shot was pulled a little. My fault. Just got to get used to it. The 22S came from about 25 yards out with a two hand hold braced on the tool box. 10 rounds. I'm still debating on scoping it and now I know the gun is accurate enough to do that. Maybe one day...

To top it all off, when I got home, I found that the mailman had brought my Fobus holster for the Ruger. It fits perfectly...

It turned out to be a good day off from work. :D

EW
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Sounds like fun
  3. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

i was told by my uncle that during his sheriff training they said groups can often drift left due to placing the trigger in the finger joint of the trigger instead of using the area in front of the joint