Range lead.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by carver, Sep 4, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Stopped in at the local scrap yard today to buy some wheel weights. Told Tim that I wanted 50lbs worth, at $1 per pound. He asked if I was making bullets, and I said yes. Tim told me that all the lead from the Shreveport, LA Police/Sherrif's range was sold to him. He wanted $1 a pound for it. There is a lot of brass mixed in with the lead, but it is seperate. Pick out all the brass, melt the lead, and cast bullets. I can bring the brass back and he will buy it from me at $1.68 per pound. I think this is a better deal than wheel weights. What do you guys think?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Lead from cast bullets has tin and antimony mixed in with it, which makes it harder.

Lead from swaged bullets and from jacketed bullets is pure lead. Softer.

If it was me (and I use range pick-up lead), I'd mix it half and half with wheel-weights.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

Do you think that the police, and deputies use swaged bullets? I know they use FMJ type bullets. I can mix wheel weights in with the range lead. Just thought it would be harder than wheel weights.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Depends on whether they used factory or reloads, and if reloads, whether they cast their own or buy 'em.

All factory lead bullets are swaged. All of 'em. No factory casts bullets. Takes too long. So if they are buying factory ammo, it all pure lead.

The big bullet makers also do swaged. Speer, Sierra, Hornady, like that. They don't cast. Like with the ammo companies, it takes too long. And swaging requires soft lead. The softer the better. So pure lead.

If they reload using Laser-cast or D&B or somebody like that, then yes it's cast bullets. But even if the "lead" bullets are cast, and have tin in them, the jacketed bullets are pure lead.

So range lead will be softer than wheelweights.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

Got it! Will have to make another trip to get the wheel weights!
  6. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Bullets can have different alloys, depending on the type. Sierra uses 4 alloys , its on there website. If the range lead contains 2% antimony, it good for target loads. Only way to know is cast a few, check hardness & diameter as they drop from the mold.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sweeten it with plumbers solder Myles. 20 bucks will buy you a pound roll of oatey 1/8" solder. Its almost pure tin and only takes about 20" piece to sweeten a whole 10# pot ot about 14 BHN.