Range of "New Army"

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by tyc, Oct 29, 2011.

1. tyc

tyc New Member

Do any of you know the approximate range of a .44 ball, when fired from a "New Army" pistol?

tyc
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Probably at least a mile! Just kidding, but we need more information. Are you asking how the bullet will travel? Or how far away you can actually hit a target?
  3. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    As I'm sure you know, much depends on the amount of powder you use.

On average I would guesstimate 3" group out to 30-35 yds.

12-36" group @ 100 yds.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  4. dustydog

dustydog New Member

"Back in the day", a buddy of mine and I experimented with max range of BP revolvers,and we got pretty surprised.We actually were able to print on a 200 yard rifle target set at 200 yards,and the roundball would pass compleatly thru the 3/4 inch plyboard of the target backing.Used both a New Army and a 3rd model Dragoon with really stiff charges of FFg,.457 balls,and the tiniest dab of grease in the chamber mouth.Shot from a seated position with a two handed hold,took a couple of rounds to get the "drop",but the ol' girls do dance!
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

it'll pass through a tin can target at 40 yards and travel 200 yards more and go into a tree 2" deep..
  6. dcriner

dcriner Member

Rather than concern yourself with the maximum range, make sure you have a safe backstop.
  7. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Perhaps rather than assume the asker is a careless zealot who needs advise on what to be concerned about, we should find out what he is really asking before admonishing.
  8. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

Are we being intolerant of one seeking information? Just wondering.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Maybe he wants to ring the 200 yard gong.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

200 yard gongs easy we have car wheels in a tree 300 away with wood over them even if ya hit the wood and miss the metal its "rings"
  11. tyc

tyc New Member

Using 25 grains and .457 ball, I was wondering just how far that ball would go.

Was at the Legion the other month and shooting at an old dead tree from about 30 feet (10 meters or so) just standing there, no bench rest or the like, I was easily able to get a 6" in grouping with 15 rounds. Digging into the tree with a small pen knife, those balls were indeed deeply embedded, which got me to thinking, just how far would they go in free flight?

One fellow has suggested a mile. I guess that's possible but I have my doubts but then again he could be right. Half a mile? I quite sure of that. Quarter of a mile? No doubt here and it could indeed hurt someone at that range.

Was just wondering.

tyc