Range pick up brass...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by kevinh, Jan 9, 2013.

1. kevinh

kevinh New Member

I know there are plenty of people that don't agree with using brass picked up off the range. I'm one of those. But, here's my question. I shoot alot of handgun loads at the range and there are tons of brass everywhere. I don't shoot competition. What would be the downside of me reloading picked up brass just for hording? Just for "the end times" scenario. If I cleaned, inspected, culled the bad and reloaded these cases, what would be bad about that.

I'm just searching for answers to questions and truly don't know which way to go with this. Your opinion is appreciated.

And, don't start throwing rocks at each other because of differing opinions.

thanks,

kevin
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

what's wrong with range brass? It's about all I ever use!

rifle I get a bit picky but pistol I will scrounge everything. probably 99% of my brass came off the floor of an indoor range.

been loading and shooting it for over 15 years with only a handful of cracked cases.
  3. kevinh

kevinh New Member

And see, aa, all I ever hear is NOT to use range brass. Reasons from you don't know how many times they've been fired to don't use brass from different manufacturers in the same batch. Maybe because I'm not competition shooting and that's the group that doesn't support picked up brass.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have no problems picking up range brass, clean and inspect thoroughly no problems. There are some exceptions that require special attention such as .40 which require debulging.
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

As long as you inspect the brass, and you're not doing olympic quality shooting, there's absolutely no reason why you can't use range brass. The majority of my pistol brass is mixed range brass. Just be sure there are no really bad bulges and splits, then load it up.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

7. Packrat76

Packrat76 New Member

I pickup mostly RP once fired brass in .308, 9mm, .38special, .30-06'. Since the ammo buyout, range brass out in Oregon is getting mighty scarce. I too have heard the warning of using this brass and inspect all cases for any problems. In 36yrs I have found some really good stuff.
  8. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I guess I'm another one you disagree with, since almost all my .223 brass is range brass. Works good for me and the price is right.
  9. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

IMO you had better get what you can while you can.........clean it up and look it over.
  10. kevinh

kevinh New Member

Thanks for the input. Maybe I should reconsider...

kevin
  11. kevinh

kevinh New Member

Steve4120, I have a new Taurus .40 and I've noticed that the strike on the primer looks similar to that of the 9mm Glock. Not round, but more oblong.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you buy new brass, load it up and shoot it, do you throw it away because it's been used? If I can reload it, I'll shoot it! It doesn't matter how many times it's been loaded so long as there are no cracks, splits, bulges, or dings that the resizing die can't work out.
  13. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I use it! Works just fine. Clean and inspect! If you run a 45 acp sort the small and large primed cases.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

With pistol range brass a simple inspection will show you whether it is heavily used or just once fired. If you see a guy or gal come to the range with new ammo and leaves the brass on the ground or bench then scoop it up. But.....

Be aware that there are steel and aluminum cased ammo out there that you can not reload. Also some ammo uses Berdan primers that are hard to remove (need special tools to pry them out of the cases) and are hard to find as new primers. Also don't reuse any bulged brass from semi-auto's with insufficient support over the feed ramp. Blown out brass may be unsafe.

With rifle brass it may be the unseen that makes the brass unsafe. It is possible that the primer pockets are enlarged from excessive reloading and/or excessive pressures. The brass could be out of a gun with excessive head space and badly stretched. I would use range rifle brass if it looks to be once fired or I observed it as being new, fired, and left on the range. But I would inspect every case. My son-in-law buys surplus loaded ammo (new ex-military). If it is not Berdan primed and not too beat up I salvage it and reload it. The Greek ammo as sold by CMP is excellent for reloading. But in general, rifle range brass is more risky to reload. Some guns like the Hakim literally rip at the the rim making it entirely unusable for reloading. H&K rifles can also be hard on brass. Guns with gas adjustment adjusted wrong can be very hard on brass (extractor attempts to pull the case out of the chamber when the gas pressure is too high and the case grabs at the chamber walls too hard, stretching and distorting the case and rim).

LDBennett
  15. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I've reloaded some of my brass several times for the pistols and never had any problems. Of course I inspect each case when I deprime them. Any cracks or anythign that looks wrong or different, I toss into the recycle buckets. As far as rifle rounds go, we pick up whatever we can (after we shoot) and load the cases that have no defects. Any doubts, they go to the recycle bucket.